Pool noob, take 2

drbond24

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2011
Huntington, WV
Hello again everyone. I received my TF100 test kit today and am looking forward to becoming an amateur chemist when I get home this evening. :)

Also, I've read and re-read much of the material this site has to offer, and I am very impressed. I've changed from worrying about being able to keep up with the pool's needs to being confident that I won't have any trouble.

Now, on to the questions. This stuff isn't all that pressing but they are things I've been thinking about and need guidance on.

1. How often does the sand in a sand filter need replaced, if ever? The one I have came with the house so I have no idea how old it is. It appears to be in good condition so I don't believe it to be very old, but I can't be sure.

2. Is it a problem in any way to add chemicals to the pool while it has the solar cover on it? I can't imagine that it would be, but I'm new at this so I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

3. What is a good website for buying pool stuff? I've found a few and even bought some missing bits for my skimmer yesterday evening on one of them, but none of them have jumped out at me as being fantastic. Where do you go? I need a new ladder as well, but it may be easier to actually go to the pool store for that. Not sure.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I may have more this evening after I test the water, but with the test kit and the pool calculator website I think I'll be all right.

Thanks for your help.

1. I have never changed mine.....7 years old. cleaned out the junk annually and see no need to change it.

2. Don't do that. Always have the cover off when adding chemistry.

3. Can't help on this one.

1) Never, unless it gets heavy calcium scaling.
2) Not normally a problem if you fold the cover back enough to have room to work, though high FC levels can shorten the life of the cover.
3) eBay.com among many others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.