Sand Filter Leaks through backwash

bce22

May 26, 2011
Hey Everyone:

I own a Jacuzzi Laser sand filter that I believe to be about 5 years old. It came with the house and I would be surprised if it has been maintained at all (since nothing else in the house/pool was).

So I have a slight problem that has become more apparent as I have replaced my backwash hose with flex PVC and buried it to runoff 50 feet away.

Twice I have woken up to find my pool down 3 inches of water or more.

It seems that when selecting filter on the multiport valve even though it "clicks" in to the filter location if it is not perfectly inline it will continue to leak water through the backwash tube.

I would like to fix this problem rather than modifying my backwash hosing to see if water is leaking.

I've heard about these spider gaskets, could that need to be replaced?

What other things should I be looking at to troubleshoot this issue?

On a side note, the previous owners just ran the backwash off of about a two foot length of hosing (making it easy to see if it was leaking) and there appears to be alot of built up sand around this area. Should I open this bad boy up and clean its innards? Add sand? What can you suggest as I have never owned a pool before and really don't know much about these types of filters.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Spider gaskets are a part that can require replacement after a period of time due to wear. If you are at all handy, it's a fairly simple replacement to make.

Without opening the hood, it is really hard to know what your sand filter needs. The link below can help you do some maintenance on your sand filter.

pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters

The most common issue is the spider gasket. It can be a DIY job if you are a little handy. Remove the top of the multi-port and the "wagonwheel" shaped spider gasket will reveal itself.....it's probably tangle up/bunched. Replace it and seat it in place correctly

Is a spider gasket a generic/standard part that I can buy at the local poolstore or do they differ from manufacturers and I need to order through a specialty store.

Thanks for the links.

If i replace the spider gasket to I need to drain the filter?

Thanks for the help

They vary according to manufacturers, but armed with the filter brand and model number, you should be able to find one at a well stocked pool supply store. Just call around. If you don't have any luck locally, try the guys at www.poolandspawarehouse.com. They will be able to hook you up without a problem. :goodjob:

After doing research and calling some local stores you cannot buy the gasket separately. You can only buy the complete multiport valve assembly for $125-$150 bucks. I don't want to put that much into the filter as I believe:

a. The filter is two small for my pool
b. filter isn't in great shape
c. Its at least 6 years old and no longer in production

SO:

Can I open up the valve unit and see what the gasket looks like and reseat it or will opening it up possibly create a much bigger problem that I have now?

What do you think?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.