Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 screw are holding me back please help

1. Back To Top    #1

3 screw are holding me back please help

im installing a new liner and i have three screws that have held me back a day. if anyone has any tips or tricks to remove these suckers please let me know. THANKS A LOT TFP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' X 52" round above ground pool---13,500 gallons---Hayward power flow matrix 1.5 hp pump---Hayward 21 in. variflow XL sandfilter---Louisville, Ky

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3 screw are holding me back please help

Ugh! You may just have to drill those out, and replace them. The second option would be to get 3 short el cheapo screwdrivers and epoxy them to the screws to get them out. Either way you will be buying 3 new stainless steel screws. You also might try a set of needle nose vise grip pliers to grab it around the outside edge and unscrew it that way.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just had three that looked like that. After several attempts to drill them out I finally used a Dremel tool to cut a slot in the head and used a large flat head screwdriver to remove them. If I'd have known how easy that would have been I'd have done that first.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I got a set of bits from Home Depot (I believe, if not I think that Craftsman/Sears actually came up with them first) that has cutting edges on the bits. I can't think of the name of them, but they weren't expensive at all. They will grab into the head no matter how rounded they are. I have used them for all sorts of heads like you have and they have almost always worked.I never had much luck with drilling and using easy outs but these things work very well. I have used the heck out of them on cars and other mechanical stuff with rusted heads that I stripped trying to get out.
    The dremel idea might work but it is hard to see if you will actually have enough room to get the cutter in there without cutting the cover cap also.
    We have all been there. Being stainless screws, it is going to be more challenging but with some patience and effort you will get there.
    28 foot doughboy AGP, dug out to 5 foot, about 18,000 gallons
    1 1/2 HP pump and 100 lb sand filter
    South Central Pennsylvania

5. Back To Top    #5

Their called Screw-out's from Craftsman. Work great.
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Ever try a hammer-bit? I have one at work, but maybe your local auto parts store would rent you one? They're pretty good in desperate times such as this. If you haven't seen em', they're a ratcheting type of screwdriver that you hit with a hammer. Every time you hit it, the bit turns, and the shock of impact also helps loosen corrosion. I would try it before drilling, but I really hate drilling! Good luck!

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't think there's enough meat to back up a impact hammer tool ihmo.
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Try an Impact Driver like a Ryobi with their 18 volt cordless tools or another brand if you have some cordless tool sets. If it will be removed that is your best bet. It will not slip out out unless it's not coming out. Also, put some liquid wrench on it and let it soak for a while before you try.
    Vinyl 18x36 inground pool, cart 4030 filter, tristar VS pool pump, T-15 SWCG, raised pre-plumbed fiberglass spillover spa w/12 jets, tristar VS spa pump, Aqualogic pl-plus-16v
    McDonough (Ola), Georgia

9. Back To Top    #9

I vote for an impact screwdriver like this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-scr ... 37530.html

I have used them on motorcycles and farm equipment with great success. PB Blaster helps too.
    The trick is to press it in VERY firmly into the screw head and give it a big hit with a 16 - 24 oz hammer.
    Viking Pools Freeport 12' x 25' Fiberglass 6000 Gallon Screened - Hayward Pro-Grid Vertical D.E. Filter DE2420 Hayward Superpump 1HP - Zodiac Pacer Cleaner - Pool Pilot Digital - TF-100 test kit - Central Florida Thanks to TFP Pool School, SWCG and the Pool Calculator, taking care of the pool is easy!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by BBailey
    Try an Impact Driver like a Ryobi with their 18 volt cordless tools or another brand if you have some cordless tool sets. If it will be removed that is your best bet. It will not slip out out unless it's not coming out. Also, put some liquid wrench on it and let it soak for a while before you try.
    I have the same tool, but this is one the pool wall and it might be too powerful on the pool wall and may damage the wall. I love my impact driver, but not enough to use on my pool...with the screw outs...a regular courdless drill should do the job.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

This is NOT a situation to use the impact driver on. Screw-0ut bits, liquid wrench, dremel are all better options.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

12. Back To Top    #12

i think im gonna go with the screw out bits. only $20 bucks and i could use it in the future as well! THANKS GUYS. THANKS TFP.
    24' X 52" round above ground pool---13,500 gallons---Hayward power flow matrix 1.5 hp pump---Hayward 21 in. variflow XL sandfilter---Louisville, Ky

13. Back To Top    #13

Dremel! If you have one that is. If you do use the screw extractors, be sure not to break them off inside the screw (I...might have done that...). Then you're screwed!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

14. Back To Top    #14

VICE GRIPS ARE AWESOME!!!

15. Back To Top    #15

I take it the vise grips worked?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!