Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward 1 1/2 too much for 20' Intex?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward 1 1/2 too much for 20' Intex?

Newbie here, but I'm hooked on this site and hobby! Started on an Intex 20x4 project a couple weeks ago. Buried half w/ 6 inch drop towards the middle. Framed out my pump house that backs up to the pool w/ a 4x6 glass basketball backboard. Decking is half done. Now for the backbone. I purchased an enormous Hayward 200 series sand filter off of craigslist, and now have found a Hayward 1 1/2hp powerflo, new in box, for $160. Price seems too good to pass up. Is it too much pump, especially for the one suction? I realize energy costs would go up, but wouldn't it have to run much less than the Intex 2500gpm pump? My main concern would be so much suction it could hurt someone. What could make this pump possibly work or should I move on to something smaller? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward 1 1/2 too much for 20' Intex?

Yes that is way more pump than you need! I don't think there would be a problem with it hurting someone, unless they go around sticking their hands in the skimmer. (I assume you are putting in a skimmer.) The flow around the pool is going to look like a waterpark ride. What model intex pool are you using? The best pump would be a 1 hp 2 speed pump. You could use the 1 1/2 hp pump, but it would be overkill.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's an Ultra model. Skimmer? It has the factory in-pool bucket that seems ok. Thinking maybe the 1 1/2 would collapse that frail-looking and tiny tube that connects it to the pool wall, though. Another thought, with Intex's "unique" mounts I was leaning towards a Hayward thru-wall skimmer and pvc to pump. If I eventually add solar heat/fountain,etc. would that tame down the eventual riptide the big pump would produce. Honestly, I can't complain about the 2500 gph pump I stole from my sis to replace the stock 1500. It'll bounce water off the opposite wall! But, Intex's connection issues make me want to replace the entire system!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think, with that pump, you could make a fountain all the way around the pool! PVC pipe, drill 1/8 holes, place immediately above Intex frame pieces... you'd have the neighborhood water feature!
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

5. Back To Top    #5

I had a 1 1/2 on my 16' Blue Intex last year and its not that bad, lol. Just think of it as a Chevy Vega with a 454. I'm not sure what kind of hoses they have now on Intex pools, but I had to put some "better" 1 1/4 hoses on that I bought from the pool store.

I purchased the filter/pump because I was leaving out of town for the week when the Intex pump broke, it was the only combo I could find and I knew I was getting a 24' ABG next year. I would much rather have a 1hp 2 speed pump.
    Vinyl 18x36 inground pool, cart 4030 filter, tristar VS pool pump, T-15 SWCG, raised pre-plumbed fiberglass spillover spa w/12 jets, tristar VS spa pump, Aqualogic pl-plus-16v
    McDonough (Ola), Georgia

6. Back To Top    #6

I had the same pump on my intex pool last year. It was a little strong for my hoses and I had to end up getting the pool hard plumbed becasue either the hoses collasped or they would pop off. Good luck..
    17100 Gallon AGP, Sta-Rite 150sq ft ModMedia Filter, Sta-Rite 1.5 hp Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a 2hp hayward on my 18 x 48 intex and I keep it on low and it does great. I did hard plumb it and only switch it to high when vacuuming which is awesome!! You'll have no problem and be very pleased im sure.
    Pro-Series 18'x48", Hayward 2hp, Hard Plumbed, Intex Saltwater Generator, Full wrap around deck (in progress...)

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone, especially you, gamecockfan! Not everyday that a fightin' chicken helps out somebody who bleeds orange and blue. Go Gators!

9. Back To Top    #9

red and black/yellow and black keep you two apart- Georgia always was/is a buffer between the Carolinas and Florida! GO YELLOW JACKETS!!!!! (UGA, the dog, is cool; the school????)
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)