Calcium chloride on Ebay?

Hey all-

My current numbers:
    FC- 5
    pH- 7.6
    TA- 80
    CH- 220
    CYA- 50

It looks like I need to raise my CH a bit. I'm looking for a good source of calcium chloride. Here are three options:
    1- Leslie's sells Hardness Plus ($32 for 15 lbs).
    2- Ace may or may not have Safe Step Extreme 7200 ($17 for 20 lbs).
    3- And on Ebay, I found someone selling this for $25 shipped:
    <This is a 25 lbs box of Calcium Chloride Flakes, 77-80% anhydous.Standard pool water hardness increaser. Also used as ice melter. It is in a 25 lbs box(+/- 1lb). We have tons of it. Dont let the soft water deteriorate your pool's surface and equipment. If you need larger quantities or different size packaging in boxes for retail, please contact us.This calcium is not suitable for aquarium use.>

Is "anhydrous" calcium chloride good? How does it compare to Leslie's and Ace's? Is Safe Step Extreme 7200 appropriate for pool use?

Thanks!
    18,000 gallon IG gunite freeform pool
    Intelliflo VS pump; Hayward SwimClear-C4030 425 sq ft filter; 4x suction PoolCleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium chloride on Ebay?

All three should be fine, the first two certainly are and the third one is a little less clear but ought to be good. On eBay I look for people selling Dow Flake or Peladow, both of which are certainly alright. "anhydrous" is fine, that means it is calcium chloride, and not calcium chloride dihydrate. Leslie's tends to sell calcium chloride dihydrate, which you need to use a little more of compared to calcium chloride.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks again Jason.

Ace does not have the Safe Step, but I can get it on Amazon for $25 shipped. Which would you get if it was you? 1, 2 or 3?
    Intelliflo VS pump; Hayward SwimClear-C4030 425 sq ft filter; 4x suction PoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tigerucla
    Ace does not have the Safe Step
    Did you ask about special orders? My local Ace will typically order anything on the website (with no shipping charge).
    20k gallon free form plaster pool with a spill over spa, sand filter, Master Pools in floor cleaner, Jandy PDA and Jandy Lite2 natural gas heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I did ask about special orders- they said their warehouse is out of stock. Funny thing is, the Amazon deal is from Ace Hardware Outlet.