Emerson 1 1/2 HP pump making noise...replace motor or pump?

magicalyak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My Emerson 1 1/2 HP is making noise. Sounds like someone else's issue and the research I've done is either bearings or something is going. In any case. I think I can replace the motor for $200-$300 if I hunt for a good price. However, it cost a TON to run last year (first year we've owned this house) and I'm eyeing the Hayward EcoPump that supposedly is 90% more effecient. That pump I think I can get for $1000. So I ask you, what would you do, is it worth it? How good is that ecopump? Also should I let the pump keep making noise? Pressure and everything seem just fine and there is no air in there, I've bled and checked numerous times (no air bubbles either to indicate a leak). Furthermore, it sounds different than air, it sounds mechanical, like it needs oil or something. Strangely, pressure is just fine.

Attaching a picture of the pump. If you really want I can record the sound tomorrow if that helps.

ANY HELP is appreciated. I really want to keep using this pool but $1000 is a lot of money for me to spend.

Attachments

• emersonpumpmotor.jpg
    emersonpumpmotor.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 59
Re: Emerson 1 1/2 HP pump making noise...replace motor or pu

I think you could go with a 1 hp 2 speed pump, brand of your choice. Running the pump on low speed is fine for filtration and will save $ on energy costs.

I've been researching for the last hour and think you're right. Do I need to replace bearings or are they part of the motor? Seems like a good time to replace if they are not. I'm looking here at the motors and the pricing seems good. http://www.poolcenter.com/motor_parts.htm

This motor appears good
B975 56J Frame - Two Speed Threaded Shaft Pool & Spa Pump Motor 1 230 2 $360.04

Do I need to get an end cap with the two speed switch? Sounds like I might?

I'm not sure honestly. I don't think I need a 1 1/2 HP pump on this pool really seems like over kill. I think it's about 25,000 gallons, two skimmers two side returns and main drain, that's it. From what I read, maybe a WhisperFlo 3/4 would be better, not incredibly expensive and be a good balance.

I read that to check if it's the bearings, take off the motor and run it and if it makes noise, then it's probably the bearings. Wouldn't I break the seals though on the pump by doing that? I'm also a bit hesitant to just replace stuff without knowing if that's the reason. I'll try to post a video of the noise, maybe someone can identify it or if you have ideas on troubleshooting, I'm all ears. I really don't want to spend more than I have to, but I really think this pump is oversized and costing a LOT to run. So I'd almost rather replace the pump entirely for about $400-500 than spend $300 just to replace the motor.

I went out this morning, it sounds REALLY bad, I turned it off, I don't want something breaking. It's making loud humming almost screeching sound and vibrating a little. Seems like bearings. I'm not sure how long my pool will go without the pump and filter (3-4 days???). I'm now leaning towards the whisperflo or something similar. Anything someone thinks I can find locally in Atlanta? Leslie's is a bit expensive but if it matters plus the WHisperFlo they sell isn't the EE one I see online.

You might check around and see if there is a small engine repair center around that would be willing to replace the bearings for you... That's usually what goes out first I believe. Might be worth it to see... you could save it as a back up pump if you purchase a newer more efficient one.

I did without much luck. I decided to get a 2-speed WhisperFlo which should arrive next week. This leaves me with 2 interesting questions

1) How long can my pool go without a pump/filter?
2) Since I'm going to replace it, I'm thinking about running the pump on Sunday anyway and if it breaks...so what, what's the worst that could happen? How good or bad of an idea is that?

Tom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.