Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFT test kit, is CYA test accurate?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFT test kit, is CYA test accurate?

Hello all,
    I have been studying the BBB method since last fall and I finally got my new TFT testkit today!
    Please help me out.
    I did the CYA test 3 times to be as accurate as possible with these 61 year old eyes. I even had my son check results with me.
    We both came up with about 20 actually less around 10-20.I have an old Bio-Guard CYA testkit which told me around 50+ for CYA.(this is an old kit)
    and we also had a Bio-guard pool store check the CYA and they came up with 70..!?..( sorry I can't trust them).
    My question and concern is: Is the new TFT test for CYA really accurate?
    My other test results were:.Pool just opened the other day..Got some additions to make I know.
    CHL,... 2
    TA,......100
    PH,..... 7.8
    CH,..... 110
    CYA,.....10-20
    Temp,.. 70
    Should I believe the new TFT kit? I do not want to end up with High CYA if it's off.?
    I really appreciate your help and guidance.

wishing you well, thanks,
    Paul
    30 year old Gunite, 2008 got a new quartz finish.
    Freeform, approx 20,000 gal.
    Haywood 36 sf D.E Filter & 1 hp Hayward Pump
    BBB now was Triclor.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFT test kit, is CYA test accurate?

The test is good to within plus or minus 10ppm. I can't read it any better than you can. You have plenty of room to run it up to 50 or so.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

The black dot CYA test is the best one generally available at a reasonable price. It is accurate when used correctly but not extremely precise. That is to say that your actual value should be +-15 from the result you get, assuming you are doing the test correctly.

Some things to keep in mind include: the test was designed to be done in direct sunlight with your back to the sun so your body shades the view tube. And the black dot should be completely gone, so that you can't see any hint of it even after you stare at it for several seconds.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

One way to check if you are reading it right is to plug your test results into The Pool Calculator and see how much chlorine it says to add to get to the top of your recommended range. Add that amount, run the pump, and re-test in about an hour. If your CYA reading was accurate then the latest FC measurement should be close to the expected result at the top of the range.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

You guys are great.
    I will do as you say and please be ready for more questions in time.
    Today was an off & on cloudy, cool day and I will be sure to test on a sunny day with my back to the sun also.
    All good advice and I thank you all so much.

I will also use the pool calcuator and try that chlorine/cya test you mentioned. Right now I am using up some left over Triclor to add to the CH and CYA levels.

My new testkit is a TF-100

Thankyou,
    paul
    30 year old Gunite, 2008 got a new quartz finish.
    Freeform, approx 20,000 gal.
    Haywood 36 sf D.E Filter & 1 hp Hayward Pump
    BBB now was Triclor.

6. Back To Top    #6

We love the TF100
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

You could get some CYA Standard Solution to confirm which test kit is giving the right results and also to help you see what it looks like to have the black dot disappear under proper lighting conditions (i.e. you can see what it looks like as you get near the 50 ppm of the standard).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

I know this is an old tread but I was researching CYA (frustrating results today) and I found this... thanks I am ordering it
    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    You could get some CYA Standard Solution to confirm which test kit is giving the right results and also to help you see what it looks like to have the black dot disappear under proper lighting conditions (i.e. you can see what it looks like as you get near the 50 ppm of the standard).
    POOL: 15 x 30 IG Plaster Pool With Spa about 15,900 Gal 1996
    Single Main Drain + Spa Drain + Single Skimmer
    FILTER: Purex Triton CC150 150GPM Cartridge Filter 31 x 10
    PUMP: Pentair SuperFlo SF-N1-1A + Pentair Model 320 Chlorinator