Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to get the water balanced

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to get the water balanced

I am new to all this chemistry stuff, but I am determined to get it balanced. I did purchase the Taylor Complete FAS-DPD K-2006 kit.

Here are the readings I got;

CYA 30 ppm
    PH 8.0
    Calcium Hardness 420 ppm
    TA 150 ppm
    CC 0.40 ppm
    FC 0.35 ppm

I'm thinking I need to add about 15 oz of Muriatic Acid to bring down the TA. I have read where some people suggest to aerate the water. I have spa jets in the steps would that help? What else do I need to do? BTW, you guys have been so helpful! I have directed many of my friends to come to this forum to help them with their pool needs.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to get the water balanced

Your pH is also too high. Use The Pool Calculator to determine how much MA you need to bring pH to 7.5, then worry about bring down the TA.

If you are using a SWG for chlorine, then your CYA needs to be at 70 ppm, and your chlorine should be 3-5 ppm at all times. Look here for recommended levelsfor your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Your pH is also too high. Use The Pool Calculator to determine how much MA you need to bring pH to 7.5, then worry about bring down the TA.

If you are using a SWG for chlorine, then your CYA needs to be at 70 ppm, and your chlorine should be 3-5 ppm at all times. Look here for recommended levelsfor your pool.

Thanks, I was close. It said to add 18 oz of MA. It also said direct sunlight and Aeration can affect the balance as well. Maybe I should turn the spa jets off? It has been very hot here with temps ranging in the middle 90s.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

PH needs to come down. FC needs to go up. TA will come down eventually, after many pH adjustments. Running the spa will speed up the process, so keep tabs on pH, like every day until you get used to things.

Check CYA again tomorrow. By the way, most of us mix up the sample, take our reading, pour it back, mix some more, take a reading, and so on until we get the same reading 3X.
    If it really is 30, you probably ought to raise it some. You can do it with plain stabilizer or with dichlor shock powder. Pool Calculator can help determine the dosages.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

For a while now I have been able to keep the ph balanced. I had to pick up some prescriptions for my dog so I took some water sample to the pool store next to the vet. They tested it and said it was perfect just need to super chlorinate. Their readings were;

Alkalinity 120 ppm
    pH 7.6
    Calcium Increaser 214
    Total chlorine 0.23
    Free Chlorine 0
    Chlorine Stablizer 50

My Salt meter on the Aqua-rite read 3100

I super chlorinated the pool back on May 24th for 24 hours. How long should I let it run this time, the same amount?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quick comment - those FC/CC numbers from your first post are not correct with a k-2006 kit. If you used a 10 ml sample, you would multiple by .5. If you used a 25ml sample, multiply by .2. So, your FC might have been 3.5 (if you used 10ml sample and 7 drops). Not possible to get a reading of .35.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

7. Back To Top    #7

I would not recommend mixing between pool stores and your own testing, if you are using the k2006 or the TF100...you'll just confuse yourself in the end.

Pool school tells you to raise FC with liquid chlorine and maintain levels with your SWG. On the other hand if you you'd rather listen to the pool store you'll unnecessarily tax your swg to raise FC.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by aa62579
    Quick comment - those FC/CC numbers from your first post are not correct with a k-2006 kit. If you used a 10 ml sample, you would multiple by .5. If you used a 25ml sample, multiply by .2. So, your FC might have been 3.5 (if you used 10ml sample and 7 drops). Not possible to get a reading of .35.

That was what the local pool store said. I need to take a new sample and test it myself.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu07
    That was what the local pool store said. I need to take a new sample and test it myself.
    I was talking about the numbers from your original post. You said:

I did purchase the Taylor Complete FAS-DPD K-2006 kit.

Here are the readings I got;

CYA 30 ppm
    PH 8.0
    Calcium Hardness 420 ppm
    TA 150 ppm
    CC 0.40 ppm
    FC 0.35 ppm
    ~~ Allison ~~

10. Back To Top    #10

I just tested the FC and CC with my Taylor's K-2006. I used the 10 mL mark and followed the directions on the lid. I had to add 2 drops of the R-0871 dropwise until the water changed from pink to colorless.
    Then I added 5 drops of R-0003....turned pink then I added R-0871 to change it from pink to colorless again it was 2 drops. So that would be a reading of 1.0 ppm for both FC and CC....right?

11. Back To Top    #11

I just tested the FC and CC with my Taylor's K-2006. I used the 10 mL mark and followed the directions on the lid. I had to add 2 drops of the R-0871 dropwise until the water changed from pink to colorless.
    Then I added 5 drops of R-0003....turned pink then I added R-0871 to change it from pink to colorless again it was 2 drops. So that would be a reading of 1.0 ppm for both FC and CC....right?
    Correct.
    ~~ Allison ~~

12. Back To Top    #12

See, just goes to prove that taking water samples to the pool store can be costly.

According to the pool calculator, I need to add 91 oz. of 6% Bleach. Do I need to turn the Cell off and how long to let the pump run?

13. Back To Top    #13

With CC at 1, you should shock the pool.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator