Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump loses pressure after couple hours????

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump loses pressure after couple hours????

I have replaced everything I can think of, all gaskets O rings on pump, new sand filter, I backwash,rinse and it runs fine for a few hours then it barley shoots water out the jets. there is no air bubbles or anything. I am about ready to fill it in with concrete. Any suggestions, I have 32x 16 pool, 3 3/4 hp motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump loses pressure after couple hours????

Hi, welcome to TFP! Could you post a complete set of test results for us? Does the pressure rise 8-10 pts before each backwashing?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

right now it is at 21 and appears to be working ok I guess, I just backwashed it about 20 min ago when I got home and it was barely pumping water, not use to having pressure gage, old sand filter one was broken, never payed much attention to it.

4. Back To Top    #4

just checked and it was up to 26, and it wasn't pumping water like it should, backwashed it, rinse and it is running fine now at about 11-12...

5. Back To Top    #5

Is the water clear or cloudy? How large is the sand filter? It sounds like your filter is catching a lot of debris, which slows down the water flow and causes the filter pressure to rise. If you post a set of test results we can tell if you need to shock the pool or not.
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It is very cloudy, I have had problem after problem trying to get it going this year. Maybe it is just catching debris. I will shock it and keep backwashing it for a few days...

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like you solved it yourself!

Is this a DE filter, by chance? If so, remember that when you backwash and recharge, only use 80% of the recommended DE. If you ever pull it apart to give it a good cleaning, you'll see why.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

That sounds like your issue then, read through Pool School, especially these articles, defeating algae and how to shock your pool.

I recommend a high quality test kit, such as a TF 100, or a Taylor K2006. Both kits contain the FAS-DPD chlorine test that is the most accurate test for reading shock level values of chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!