Getting things in order

May 1, 2011
Austin, Texas
Hi All,

So having just moved things were crazy and I just dumped a scoop of chlorine (which I found in the pool shed when we moved in) every now and then until I had time to measure up etc. Finally got it done, and the scoop here and there was insufficient, but numbers and details are below. Advice would be greatly appreciated. I've read the articles on here regarding amounts, buying bleach, borax, etc from HEB. Though if location and current condition means I should deviate from that please tell me.

I'd like to use borates in the pool, there are none now. I'm also considering salt - would like advice on that. These results are measured using the TF-100 kit.

FC: <0.5 (Color barely changed, if it did at all - so one drop it was definitely clear)
CC: 0
TC: <0.5
pH: 8.2 (maybe higher - it might have topped the test out - the color may have been a little more intense than the highest)
T/A: 130
CH: 240
CYA: <20 - I could still see the dot when the tube was full
Salt: <190 (only went to 1 on the strip which wasn't listed on the chart - lowest reading was 1.9ish at 380)
Borates: 0

The pool has a roughish bottom, so I assume it's masonry, but I am not familiar with pools to be certain. It's definitely not tiles or fibreglass :)

It's an odd shape, but fortunately with every corner at a 45 degree angle, so with a bunch of measuring and a salute to Pythagoras I ballpark it at 43.32kL, which is 11,444ish US Gallons (is that the preferred units?).

I'm in Austin, TX, so it's Dang hot now, and I should be okay to keep the pool open all year round.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Alan.

You are doing well to have a quality test kit. Please get your Chlorine level up consistent with your CYA...you don't want algae.

I would recommend getting familiar with your equipment and getting your chemistry balanced before moving on to the 'nice to have' chemicals. Borates to 50 ppm and salt to 2000 ppm are nice, but not necessary. Some folks can tell a difference...others, not so much. For me, I added borates and salt and have never looked back. Spouse is happy, too. :goodjob:

"...and a salute to Pythagoras...", you are my kind of pool owner. Welcome to the Forum!

First thing you need to do is bring the pH down to around 7.5. The quickest way is with Muriatic Acid. It may take several additions of acid to get the pH in the correct range. Next you need to add bleach and CYA. You can use the CYA/Chlorine Chart or The Pool Calculator to find out how much bleach to add. You can use the pool calculator to determine Muriatic acid and CYA dosage as well.

Wait until the water is balanced to make a decision on borates and salt.

First thing is get the pH corrected. Pool Calculator can give you a close approximation, because you aren't 100% sure of the size yet and there's no telling how far over 8.2 you are. So see what it says, add maybe 3/4 of that, give it half an hour of brushing with the pump running (vacuuming also works) then recheck Ph and fine tune from there.

Then get some bleach in there. Unlike the acid, you can go a little heavier there. Is it green? That changes everything. You'll need to shock in that case.

If not, get some stabilizer in an old sock, tie it off in front of a return, and let it dissolve. Aim for 40 or so target CYA. You can always add more later, but getting rid of it is a pain if you overshoot.

Keep checking your numbers daily. Beginning of next week, post your new numbers as well as what it looks like. Then if it needs tweaking, you can get some guidance.

Salt and borates are optional. Get the basics down first, then worry about them.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice.

Last week before I'd got it measured the water had a slight green tinge to it. So I'd put some shock in there. One scoop one day. Then a few days later another two scoops. This was while the polaris was out of action (broken motor) and we were waiting for a Blue Diamond to arrive. The water turned a little cloudy, but has since cleared and the water now looks normal.

Am I good to run the pump, put the muriatic acid in, then start the blue diamond running?

Thanks,

Alan.

Thanks Richard. The calculator suggested 24oz of muriatic acid, so I added approx 18 (only had a 16.9oz ice tea bottle to measure with at the time XD).

Just measured pH again and it looks pretty Dang close to 7.5 - maybe 7.6, but definitely much closer to 7.5 than 7.8.

I've now added bleach and am leaving the pump running overnight and will measure chlorine levels in the morning.

HEB is now out of borax, but I'm waiting until I know chlorine and CYA (which I've not added yet), is right. Is a skimmer an okay place to put the sock of CYA? Also I'm not sure the amount I need to add will fit in a sock. Should I wrap it in something bigger or do it a little at a time?

Thanks for the advice; It's making this a lot easier.

Cheers,

Alan.

skyphyr said:
Thanks Richard. The calculator suggested 24oz of muriatic acid, so I added approx 18 (only had a 16.9oz ice tea bottle to measure with at the time XD).

Just measured pH again and it looks pretty **** close to 7.5 - maybe 7.6, but definitely much closer to 7.5 than 7.8.

I've now added bleach and am leaving the pump running overnight and will measure chlorine levels in the morning.

HEB is now out of borax, but I'm waiting until I know chlorine and CYA (which I've not added yet), is right. Is a skimmer an okay place to put the sock of CYA? Also I'm not sure the amount I need to add will fit in a sock. Should I wrap it in something bigger or do it a little at a time?

Thanks for the advice; It's making this a lot easier.

Cheers,

Alan.
Use a nylon, then. I'd hang it in front of a return, less chance of it clogging anything that way. Tie a string to it then use a cinderblock or an empty bleach jug filled with water, or some of those weights you no longer work out with to tie off to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.