Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No more Black Hoses!

1. Back To Top    #1

No more Black Hoses!

Thanks to all of the great information on this forum I finally decided to switch to PVC Pipe today! I got all of the items at Lowe's for about $55.00.

The pump and filter seem to operate more efficiently now too!

Here are a couple pictures of the finished job!

[attachment=0:2cka5afh]2011-06-02_15-47-46_64.jpg[/attachment:2cka5afh]
    [attachment=1:2cka5afh]2011-06-02_15-45-58_675.jpg[/attachment:2cka5afh]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24" Round Above Ground 52" high
    Jacuzzi CFR 100 Platinum Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No more Black Hoses!

What the heck? Are those unions? What an amateur!

No professional installer ever uses unions. His work is so perfect that no one will ever need to remove anything, dontcha know?

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

LOL!

Those are unions. I only used them because I am in Ohio and I have to take everything in on the winter and I thought it wold be much easier to take apart!

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks great!...the only flaw I could find (not that I was purposely looking for one...the work is much neater than mine ) is that you might have wanted that shut off valve between the skimmer and the union, vs at the pump. Removing the pump requires removing the valve, unless I'm not looking at the pic correctly?

PS...I'm in love with my unions...they make life easy
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

There is actually a union at the valve as well. I can disconnect it at the valves and then at the Skimmer and the Inlet so that I have no chance of anyone running into the pipes during the winter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    What the heck? Are those unions? What an amateur!

No professional installer ever uses unions. His work is so perfect that no one will ever need to remove anything, dontcha know?

Richard just likes to yank people's chains around here. Since he is in Ca. he has no IDEA what tearing down and re-assembling the plumbing for a pool is like every year.

He's a good guy, really!

I am in NE Ohio, too and believe me, as soon as I can get my DH on board with the PVC, that is how we will be doing things.

Your set up looks great, BTW.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jimh64
    There is actually a union at the valve as well. I can disconnect it at the valves and then at the Skimmer and the Inlet so that I have no chance of anyone running into the pipes during the winter!
    Yup, I see that, which is OK for cleaning the pump basket, but if you undo the union at the valve to remove the pump for servicing, you'll need to manually plug the skimmer.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh ya, I see what you mean now,,, well hopefully I never have to service the motor until I close the pool for the season! LOL!

9. Back To Top    #9

Not a PVC expert by any means, but that looks very nice and clean compared to the messes that I create with sch. 40. UGH!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks!