Pool Opened First Test Results

bmark3

Jul 12, 2010
Albany, NY
Opened the pool on Tuesday. Have been running the pumps 24 hours/day since then. I brushed the walled yesterday and made a huge mess, but today the water is clearing up and the bottom needs to be vacuumed still. Tonight I ran my first set of tests. Here are the results.

FC - 7.5
CC- 0.5
TC - 8.0
pH - 7.2
T/A - 110
CYA - 30

I'm glad the CYA has come down over the winter. I had some water loss that turned out to be cause (hopefully) by a bad seal on the light. Its been holding water fine since Tuesday. Last summer my CYA was very high ~100. It will be nice not to use as much chlorine. Any thoughts/suggestions on my test results. Looking forward to getting things stabilized and cleaned up. New solar cover this year that needs to get cut and put on and hopefully raise the water temperature a little.

More Chlorine!!

With CYA 30, shock level is 13. You're too low. Gotta get it up there and keep adding to keep it up there until it goes from green to gray. If there's any organic debris on the bottom (leaves, branches, Jimmy Hoffa), try to get rid of it so the expensive chemicals aren't being used up trying to oxidize it all.

Study this article to refresh your memory.

Vacuumed the bottom tonight, man that was a lot of worms. Probably going to have to clean the filter cartridges tomorrow, pressure is up about 5-psi. Also put more chlorine in based on the calculator to get back up around 13.

So I added some CYA to the pool on Saturday and seemed to have gotten everything cleared up well. Water is nice and clear (not quite sparkling, but we're getting there). Did another round of tests tonight, here they are.

FC=7.5
CC= <0.5
TC=8.0
TA=130
CH=250
CYA=40 (added Saturday so maybe it will go up a little more)
pH=7.4

Any suggestions?

Also, we got a new solar cover that I need to cut and attach to our rockys roller. Any tips to make this any easier on myself? Right now its laying in the pool uncut to try to warm it up a bit. Looks silly, but should do the job.

bmark3 said:
So I added some CYA to the pool on Saturday and seemed to have gotten everything cleared up well. Water is nice and clear (not quite sparkling, but we're getting there). Did another round of tests tonight, here they are.

FC=7.5
CC= <0.5
TC=8.0
TA=130
CH=250
CYA=40 (added Saturday so maybe it will go up a little more)
pH=7.4

Any suggestions?
Go swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.