Need advice: TA and Ph

Jun 2, 2011
Long story short, I just switched from Trichlor pucks and dichlor shock to BBB. Had tons of dirt and "scum" in bottom of pool at opening due to slight rip in winter cover.

I've been battling holding FC since opening, and started using bleach Monday. Finally got my TF50 kit today (I know, I should have got the TF100, but I didn't. Hoping OTO Ph reading will suffice). I just used test strips the last few days to get an idea of the FC. FC didn't drop to zero today, despite 90 degree sunny weather. Here are my #'s as of 4:30 pm:

FC: 10.5
CC: 0.5
TC: 11.0
ph: 6.8
TA: 160
CYA: 80

I am ok with a cya of 80 for now, as we will soon be draining water because it's already to start getting hot. Unless someone tells me it's imperative I lower it now. I realize it will require more bleach.

My main concern is the high TA and low PH. My husband's a boat mechanic, so he hooked up a bilge pump in the water that is a darn good areator! It's bubbling as we speak.

Looking for other thoughts, suggestions on actions I need to take.

Thanks so much for the genosity of people here. I've learned so much and don't plan to rely on the pool store for advice any longer!

Welcome to the forum!

Since you already have a plan to drain and fill some water as the temperature increases, this process will also change your pH and TA. I recommend testing your fill water.

Meanwhile, MA and aeration is a great process to get the desired results. Don't forget...kids (and adults) are great for aeration, too. Get in there and swim as long as your chlorine level is below shock for your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.