Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice: TA and Ph

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice: TA and Ph

Long story short, I just switched from Trichlor pucks and dichlor shock to BBB. Had tons of dirt and "scum" in bottom of pool at opening due to slight rip in winter cover.

I've been battling holding FC since opening, and started using bleach Monday. Finally got my TF50 kit today (I know, I should have got the TF100, but I didn't. Hoping OTO Ph reading will suffice). I just used test strips the last few days to get an idea of the FC. FC didn't drop to zero today, despite 90 degree sunny weather. Here are my #'s as of 4:30 pm:

FC: 10.5
    CC: 0.5
    TC: 11.0
    ph: 6.8
    TA: 160
    CYA: 80

I am ok with a cya of 80 for now, as we will soon be draining water because it's already to start getting hot. Unless someone tells me it's imperative I lower it now. I realize it will require more bleach.

My main concern is the high TA and low PH. My husband's a boat mechanic, so he hooked up a bilge pump in the water that is a darn good areator! It's bubbling as we speak.

Looking for other thoughts, suggestions on actions I need to take.

Thanks so much for the genosity of people here. I've learned so much and don't plan to rely on the pool store for advice any longer!
    TF50 test kit
    9800 gal.
    15x25 oval; AG
    Hayward sand filter with zeobrite; Hayward pump 1hp pro-max flow, or something like that, LOL!
    Southwest MO; hot/humid summers, full sun 8am-1pm, then shading begins.

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Need advice: TA and Ph

You can aerate the pool to raise Ph then knock it back down (along with the TA) with muriatic acid. Kind of a process.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    On the border AR/TN

Re: Need advice: TA and Ph

Welcome to the forum!

Since you already have a plan to drain and fill some water as the temperature increases, this process will also change your pH and TA. I recommend testing your fill water.

Meanwhile, MA and aeration is a great process to get the desired results. Don't (and adults) are great for aeration, too. Get in there and swim as long as your chlorine level is below shock for your CYA.
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir