Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I am getting little pocket of dirt or sand at bottom of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

I am getting little pocket of dirt or sand at bottom of pool

I have 18 ft round, water always clear, also use polaris for small debris and leaves. When I run filter only, I am getting little pocket of dirt or sand at bottom of pool. I have a sand filter, and backwash monthly. The pool will be 3 yrs old this year. Any suggestions as to what might cause this
    25K gal, sand, IG, Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I am getting little pocket of dirt or sand at bottom of

It is common for dirt to collect in the floors of vinyl liner pools. Even the best prepped floor will have small indentions develop over time, and those will collect fine particles of dirt and pollen that drop out of suspension, even with the best pump and filter running 24/7.

The wind blows dust into the pool, leaves drop dust and pollen into the pool, and when we humans get in to swim, we usually have some dirt at least on the bottom of our feet that we drag in with us as well. This is normal and nothing to stress about.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I even have a little spot in my inground pool that is a sort of "dead-zone" where dust collects. I just brush it out when I think about it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your input. It is just frustrating, because the water is so clear when the polaris is running, or when filter is off. Once filter is turned on, all these small pockets of dust develope. But as you said, a quick brushing of bottom and it is clear. Thanks again
    25K gal, sand, IG, Vinyl