Pool fencing and solar cover.

G

So now that I cleared my swamp that came with my house, I went into my shed to get the solar cover that also came with the place, I unfolded it in my yard and that thing is NASTY. Very dirty, few holes in it and smells like something died on it. Clearly a new cover is in order, but after I purchase one I can foresee a problem.

My AGP pool has "fencing" that is attached to the rail all the way around it. it stands about 3 feet above the rail and is made out of the same plastic that the pool ladder is made of. I assume this is needed for security purposes so some child doesn't wander into my yard and chuck himself into my pool and drown. The only openeing is the ladder, if you rotate the stairs down so you can use it. Since the fence/ladder completely enclose the pool, how to I get my solar cover on and off? Roll it up like tube then stuff it through the opening where the ladder is and wrestle it open using the openings in the fencing? I think that process would be even more difficult trying to roll it back up to get it back off.

The fencing is in panels so I could remove a few panels to make it eaiser but that would still be a PITA to remove the panels and put them back every time I want to jump in for a swim.

Any idea's? Thanks!

You can check with the city where you live and find out if the fencing is required. Is your yard fenced in? Do you have small children? If you don't have to have the fence I would pull it off so you can use the solar cover more easily.

Ok I will check, I think my wife wants it on though, it is partially buried due to being installed on a hill and on the low side our neighbor's 3 and 5 year olds could potentionally go for an unintentional swim.

Reactions: jbilliel
Burnsy said:
Ok I will check, I think my wife wants it on though, it is partially buried due to being installed on a hill and on the low side our neighbor's 3 and 5 year olds could potentionally go for an unintentional swim.

Yup, usually only a code requirement when the pool wall is less than 48" from ground level and in you case partially buried will do it :wink:

hmm...getting that solar cover on and off, via the ladder without a reel in the middle of the pool will be quite a task :roll:

Well phoey, no easy answer then, think the best method will be to take it on and off with one person in the pool and one person out, will try that way. Ordered a 24 foot blue 8mil from ebay for $50 including shipping, I know 12 mil will probably last longer but for that price if it lasts a season or two I will be happy.

You should also speak to your insurance agent about the fencing. We had to have a 6ft fence with locking gates around ours to satisfy insurance. They didn't care if the fence was on the pool or around the pool, it just had to be there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.