Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting started with my salt pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting started with my salt pool

My pool is finally open ! The murky pond water I started with is now pretty clear, although my filter isn't especially happy with me.

I want to start out by following Water Balance for SWGs. Right now, the SWG isn't working, so I've been adding a little bleach to (hopefully) keep things under control until it is.

Anyway, the only source of CYA I could find locally (that actually listed Cyanuric Acid on the label) was Walmart's 4 lb bags of hth Salt Pool Care 3-in-1 startup, which hasn't gotten great reviews here.

At this moment, my TF-100 tells me the following:

FC - 1.0
    CC - 0.5
    pH - 6.8
    TA - 40
    CH - 80
    CYA - too low to get a reading
    Salt - 3400

Is the hth stuff a reasonable way to start raising CYA, or should I look harder for a pure source?

Thanks,

Sim
    Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting started with my salt pool

You can save money by buying CYA mail order.

You need to get your TA and PH up right away. Raise TA to around 70 and then adjust PH to at least 7.2.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Got it. 232 oz. of baking soda, and then borax for the pH. Should the baking soda be added all at once, or added and tested over several days?

Thank you for the Pool Calculator!
    Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

4. Back To Top    #4

You can add the baking soda all at once.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

That was easy. Dumped a bag (13.5 lbs) of baking soda in the skimmer, TA is now 70 and pH looks just under 7.2.