LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
If I plug a powerbar into a GFI outlet, are all the outlets in the power bar now protected as well?

Just had a shed built around/over the pool equipment and was thinking of mounting a powerbar on the wall for convienience. The GFI that's there now (part of my Jandy sub panel power centre) has only the light control box plugged into it, leaving one plug free for a powerbar.

Thanks.

If that is an underwater light controller, you shouldn't plug anything else into that outlet. Underwater lights have all kinds of special safety considerations.

Yes, the GFI will protect anything plugged in, even through a powerbar.

rcy said:
Yes, it's the control box for the underwater LED lights. So you're recommending nothing else be plugged into that GFI except the plug for the light control box?

Thanks.

There isn't any safety considerations in doing so, I dont see why you couldn't.

Many inspectors will treat this as a code violation of 680.23(F)(2). It isn't a big deal when using LED lights, but installing a separate outlet seems prudent.

That has to do with the grounding of the system. I assume the lights were installed and inspected. You aren't changing any of that.

There is no concern with plugging anything in the open spot. It will be GFI protected. Keep in mind it is never a good idea to plug a fridge or something that can't be shut off into a GFI. If you are using it for general purpose use, go for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.