Service Lamp on Purex 400 Gas Heater ?- UPDATE and a ??

Piney

Sep 22, 2007
Greetings--

Heater will turn on and burn for 1-2 min, then service lamp lights and burner goes off. It will wait 2-3 min, and turn itself back on. Over and over. A week ago, it stayed on just fine.

Unit is aprox 8 yrs old . It was here with the house so I have no idea about service ect.

What to look for to repair/replace ?
===============

UPDATE

Local tech replaced flame sensor-- was *sure* that was it-- NOPE
Same tech then wanted to replace the circuit board -- was *sure* that was it.

I called and spoke withe PoolCenter.com folks. He suggested that it was probably the water flow regulator , causing the water to get too hot and trip the heat sensors. He said it was comon to see the regulating disc/systyem get rusted and impede the flow of water. The heat sensors indead open up after 5-7 min or operation

I took it out (part # 27 on the diagram)-- and it was toast-- rusted up and springs were gone.

QUESTION- Can the unit run without this flow control in place-- ie wide open water flow ?

That make sense-- I just wanted to be sure that it wouldnt damage anything running it w/o the flow control valve. I'll order one Monday.

Kids wanted to swim this weekend so I wanted to fire up the heater.

I think my heater ran without it for some time. When I called out a service man to fix a dead gas valve he opened it up to service it and found that valve disintegrated. Being a 25 year old Jacuzzi heater the part was impossible to repair or replace, so we decided to disconnect it and purchase a new heater in the spring.

Do not run your heater like this for too long as you will get condensation inside which can cause corrosion. Fix it ASAP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.