Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switch from Trichlor tabs to bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Switch from Trichlor tabs to bleach

Hey:

I've used Trichlor tabs for 8 years now. Never been thrilled with them and now I want to try bleach as my primary sanitizer. The tabs release cl slowly and evenly relative to the pump running. What I'd like to know is how to use bleach? Do you add it once and then it holds its level for an extended amount of time? Let's say my CYA is at a proper level and I give the proper dose of bleach to the pool how long until I should check again? All those type of questions. I'd really appreciate help to understand.

Thank you,
    Ed
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Switch from Trichlor tabs to bleach

Daily is the best answer. Test, adjust and swim. Two minutes tops.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Being that you have used tabs for 8 yrs, your cya is going to be high...but if you were to have a normal range for cya I believe 2-3 ppm loss of chlorine daily is considered normal. Each pool will be different though. You check it at least every other day and apply bleach as needed according to the pool calculator.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

We just opened the pool saturday and probably added 2/3rds new water.

Now:
    CYA 15
    FC 2
    CC 0
    pH 7.4
    CH 190
    TA 150
    . . . and crystal clear
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

For use with bleach, you should raise your CYA level to around 50, and in the long run you will want TA to come down, but there is no rush on lowering TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If you really want an accurate number for your FC, you should get one of the test kits recommended here. Check it daily for a week or two until you get a fell for what your chlorine demand is. Most folks add the bleach at dusk so they have a higher concentration overnight with no sun burnoff and their pump is not running.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!