Switch from Trichlor tabs to bleach

Whatrymes

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2011
E. Bridgewater, MA
Hey:

I've used Trichlor tabs for 8 years now. Never been thrilled with them and now I want to try bleach as my primary sanitizer. The tabs release cl slowly and evenly relative to the pump running. What I'd like to know is how to use bleach? Do you add it once and then it holds its level for an extended amount of time? Let's say my CYA is at a proper level and I give the proper dose of bleach to the pool how long until I should check again? All those type of questions. I'd really appreciate help to understand.

Thank you,
Ed

Being that you have used tabs for 8 yrs, your cya is going to be high...but if you were to have a normal range for cya I believe 2-3 ppm loss of chlorine daily is considered normal. Each pool will be different though. You check it at least every other day and apply bleach as needed according to the pool calculator. :cheers:

If you really want an accurate number for your FC, you should get one of the test kits recommended here. Check it daily for a week or two until you get a fell for what your chlorine demand is. Most folks add the bleach at dusk so they have a higher concentration overnight with no sun burnoff and their pump is not running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.