Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump run time calculation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump run time calculation?

Hello,
    I have a 15k gallon pool (16x32x4) and I have always run the pump for 12 hrs a day, and the water is generally clear and pretty maintenance free. But from reading through the forum it seems that i might be running it more than I really need?

How can I calculate pump run time?
    I have a Hayward Superpump 1-1/2 HP and a Hayward 300lb sand filter with a 62gpm flow rate. All pipes are 1-1/2 inch with 1 skimmer and 2 returns. I am also using a Hayward Chlorine feeder with 3" tablets for chlorination.
    Pool: IG - Vinyl - 15k gallons - 16x32 3-5' depth
    Pump: Hayward Superpump - 1-1/2 HP
    Filter: Hayward Sand - 300lb with 62gpm flow rate.
    Chlorinator: None, using Chlorine bleach only

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump run time calculation?

Pool School has a good article on this http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-.../pump_run_time

As it states in the article, its not trivial to figure out your gpm, but you can experiment to find a good run time for your pool.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

3. Back To Top    #3

What is your filter pressure and pump height above the water line? I might be able to give you an idea of your flow rate.

BTW, Curve-A of the CEC data shows a flow rate of about 55 GPM for that pump but your flow will probably be higher than that.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    What is your filter pressure and pump height above the water line? I might be able to give you an idea of your flow rate.
    Thanks, the pressure runs about 19lbs normally and the pump is about 12-18" above the water line.

5. Back To Top    #5

19 PSI would put your flow rate at about 42 GPM @ 57' of head. Higher head loss than I was expecting. But still your turnover is only 6 hours so 12 hours would be two turns per day.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Is one turn per 24 hours the minimum recommendation? Maybe I'll turn it back to 10 hours per day to start with and see if the water quality stays good. Thanks for the help !

7. Back To Top    #7

Most people find that 1 turn per day is enough although some require less and some require more so trial and error is probably your best bet.
    Mark