Pump Motor Noise

May 3, 2011
PSL, FL
I think my Cheapness just whipped my Butt!

We haven't hit the rainy season yet in S. FL. So every couple weeks I've had to put some water in the pool. I just bought the house, so I'm not totally familiar with when the skimmer might not skim. So the last few days I had looked it over hoping for some rain.

Looked today after the pool had been running a few hours and something wasn't right.

Looked at the Pump basket and it was only getting about 1/2 a stream out of the suction.

So I quickly turned the drain on and it fully primed up.

But....

I now have some bearing noise I didn't have before.

CRAPTASTIC!

Trying to save a few bucks on water, and jsut shot myself in the foot!

So, should I just pull the pump and take it for a bearing rebuild?

I'm thinking if it seizes, things will be worse?

Sounds like some marbles rattling around.

Running that way probably didn't cause a bearing issue. Are you sure the noise isn't air? Marbles rattling is pretty close to the sound air makes in the lines. Is the pump basket absolutely full with no bubbles?

JohnT said:
Running that way probably didn't cause a bearing issue. Are you sure the noise isn't air? Marbles rattling is pretty close to the sound air makes in the lines. Is the pump basket absolutely full with no bubbles?

I don't think it was there before today. I kinda tought the pump was pretty quiet before today.

There is some air in the top of the basket, but this sounds like a rattling bearing to me.

les_garten said:
JohnT said:

I don't think it was there before today. I kinda tought the pump was pretty quiet before today.

There is some air in the top of the basket, but this sounds like a rattling bearing to me.

Most pool pumps run 3450RPM, which makes the bearing noise a squeal or grinding noise. Air in the lines will sound almost exactly like gravel or marbles rattling inside.

You may be right, and it may be a bearing, but don't spend money fixing something that might be cured by lubing or tightening the pump basket lid or pump drain plugs. Get rid of the air and see what happens to the noise.

OK, Update:

I went out to assess the noise a little more. Definitely coming from the motor area, and sounds like a bearing.

So, I'm thinking about getting my Stethoscope out. I leaned over to get my ear closer to find out the source area of the noise.

I put my hand on the output piping to see if I felt vibration and the sound changed. I put some pressure on it and it went away. I put some pressure on the motor interface to the pump and it went away as well.

So I'm positive it is just the motor vibrating against the slab. Totally goes away with a little pressure on the motor portion of the pump.

Whew! I guess I got sesnistive to the pump sound when it was low water level in the basket, and notied something that was there all along.

It sounds so quiet with the thing coupled to the concrete, I may get something like some rubber pads to isolate it a little.

Thanx for all the help!

I was about to pull it and send it out for a rebuild.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.