filter/pump question

Aug 9, 2010
Hi, again. Sorry to bug with so many questions, but as I'm working on trying to get the pool clean, I'm beginning to wonder if I just need a new pump/filter. I have a Hayward EC40 DE filter that I cleaned in MA last night, hooked it up this morning and the pressure coming out is great and seems like it's working well, but then after a short period of time, the output just drops like a stone and there is no circulation. When I bump the filter, it starts working great again and only lasts a little bit. Also, as soon as I hook the vacuum up, pressure drops like a stone again. I've been working to keep my #'s for chlorine, pH and etc. where they need to be, and the pool is cloudy greenish in color still. I'm thinking maybe my biggest problem is a lack of proper filtration? Any suggestions? Again, sorry to be a pain but thank you for the advice.

There are two possibilities. Either you are adding too much DE, or your water is fairly dirty and you just need to go through several cycles of running the filter and then cleaning it before you catch up with everything in the water.

JasonLion said:
There are two possibilities. Either you are adding too much DE, or your water is fairly dirty and you just need to go through several cycles of running the filter and then cleaning it before you catch up with everything in the water.

That would explain the vacuum issue too? Would you recommend the first step to be to backwash the filter and start fresh with less DE? or just continue to keep bumping and then worry about vacuuming later? Thank you

thank you- I had it all pulled apart and soaked in MA just last night- I'll just keep 'bumping' it then and see how it goes :) I guess I'm still kind of like an impatient kid, I wanted it clean yesterday :mrgreen: Thank you again-

OK- re-posting from another thread so you can see what's been going on.... My question is, am I doing something wrong?

Here's the deal- water is finally clear and numbers are great, so i decided I would try to vacuum again. It worked great for the first quarter of the pool, then, the return started shooting cloudy and nasty water back out, and I'm fairly certain it was DE from the filter. It did this before when the pool was filthy and dirty, so I thought maybe it was just too much for the filter to handle. Now, it's clear and nice, and I can finally see the bottom :) but I'm just not sure what is going on? Has this happened to anyone else before? Just so you know, I have a Hayward EC40 DE filter that is doing a great job otherwise in cleaning up the pool, so I'm thinking that it is something I am missing or just plain doing wrong. Thank you in advance for any help or advice you may have to offer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.