Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Flow meter location

Flow meter location

Hi all,

Thinking of installing a flow meter in the pool plumbing... Is there any difference if i install it right after the pump before the filter or if i install it after the filter and heater just before the 3 way valve on the return pipe?

Thanks in advance!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

Re: Flow meter location

It doesn't really matter as long as you respect the upstream/downstream requirements of the meter you use.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

My reply is probably much too late for the original poster, but perhaps it will benefit someone. Our flow meter was installed before the filters, and got stuck repeatedly. So I moved it to a position after the filters, and have had no problems.

Mike
    Commercial,100 K, Liquid chlorine, Indoor, Heated to 86 with Jandy Lite 2 gas heater, High-Rate Sand Triton TR-100 filters (3), 7.5 HP pump motor, IG, Plaster.

Jesus is my Lifeguard!

Mike,

What kind did you install?
    L-shaped | 27K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Borated

Hi Diver,
    It was pre-existing. I just moved it downstream of the filters.
    http://www.bluwhite.com/Products/Var...f300_photo.htm

Mike
    Commercial,100 K, Liquid chlorine, Indoor, Heated to 86 with Jandy Lite 2 gas heater, High-Rate Sand Triton TR-100 filters (3), 7.5 HP pump motor, IG, Plaster.

Jesus is my Lifeguard!

Quote Originally Posted by salvationarmy
    Hi Diver,
    It was pre-existing. I just moved it downstream of the filters.
    http://www.bluwhite.com/Products/Var...f300_photo.htm

Mike
    Mike, any problems with it leaking at all? i wonder how it reduced the flow itself ...
    L-shaped | 27K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Borated

Hi Diver-
    No real problems with it leaking. It did not reduce the flow, it just did not register any flow at all after it apparently got clogged with debri on the dirty side, upstream of the filters.

Jesus is my Lifeguard!