Help purchasing new pool filter for inground

rshady

May 27, 2011
I've told the story on here before, so this will be short.

~35,000 gallon in-ground pool (sort of kidney shaped)
Currently have a 1HP pump going to a very old D.E. filter that has been converted to a sand filter somehow.
1.5" plumbing from a single pool skimmer
1.5" plumbing to 4-6 returns (can't remember off the top of my head)
RayPak RP-2100 heater
Michigan weather

I'm looking to replace everything, but hopefully not all at once. ;) I really like the idea of the Pentair Intelliflo pumps, I'd like to hear about any experiences you've had with them.

Right now, I was replacing the sand in my converted D.E. filter and snapped the center pipe off the bottom. I've heard many of these just sit in there, but this one was actually glue to/part of the bottom.

Never the less, I really was looking to get a better/newer filter anyway. I've asked on these, and other boards and called around to various pool stores in the area to ask what brand people prefer and why (Hayward vs. Pentair primarily) and it looks like Pentair has come out on top. However, Pentair has like 6 different types of D.E. filters.

I also asked about over-sizing the pool filter for my pool, and have gotten answers anywhere from "Buy the biggest you can afford" to "Don't do it or you're filter won't backwash properly".

In the process, I was also told I need to purchase a multi-port valve for the new filter. I started looking around and see that most (Pentair especially) companies make several different models that break down into either Multi-Port or High-Flow.

Even though my plumbing is only 2" coming from/going to the pool, I planned to pipe everything for 2" using an adapter where the pipes come out of the ground, if that's not a problem...

So here are the questions, in no particular order.

1. What TYPE of Pentair D.E. filter? FNS+? Quad D.E.?

2. What SIZE Pentair D.E. filter? 36? 48? 60?

3. Multi-port vs. High-Flow? What's the difference? What's better?

If you want a DE filter, get the Pentair Quad, preferably the largest one they sell. A larger filter is better, can go longer between backwash/cleanings and filters better.

The hi-flo valves are a little more efficient. It isn't a huge difference, but it isn't much of a price difference either.

Doesn't the Quad use cartridges though? Don't they need to be replaced more often than the normal grids? I wish there was some good comparisons between the different D.E. filters...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.