Question about CYA

LisaM

May 26, 2011
So I have read in many different areas on here that CYA is never used up... the only way to get rid of it is to drain the pool or reverse osmosis.

I am wondering then how my CYA has gone from 68 to 16 in the past week. All I have done is shock the pool to kill algae.

Any ideas?

These numbers are coming from the pool store. They use a computer system to test the water. I did not replace ANY water or add any water during this time. I did have a bad algae problem I was dealing with and had to use LOTS of chlorine to deal with it. Used granular to start but the switched to liquid because it was easier. I am back to using my 3" tabs in my chlorinator and I will retest the CYA in a week to see if I need to add stabilizer. I just think its odd that it dropped like that when I keep reading that it never goes away...

What John said...always trust yourself...get a good test kit...like the TF100 and go to it. If someone tried to tell me my numbers were wrong I would laugh in their face. because of TFP I have gotten to the point I can look at my water and know whether things are good or not. Get a test kit that has the FAS-DPD test, pH, Total Alkalinity, CYA and Calcium hardness...Read the instructions and trust in yourself.

TFP will not steer you wrong! :party:

Excuse me for being the skeptic, but from reading many threads about pool stores and also dealing with a VERY dishonest PB, perhaps the store has a computer built to make the CYA go down. After the readings come out, the suggestion is to buy 10 lbs of CYA. Now think about it. The cost of the CYA is probably getting close to the cost of the TFT100 test kit. Buy the test kit and the next time you have to go to the pool store, you can tell them exactly what and how much you need. For kicks, you can have them test your water. The smarter you get, the less costly it becomes.

XsAllOverIt said:
Excuse me for being the skeptic, but from reading many threads about pool stores and also dealing with a VERY dishonest PB, perhaps the store has a computer built to make the CYA go down. After the readings come out, the suggestion is to buy 10 lbs of CYA. Now think about it. The cost of the CYA is probably getting close to the cost of the TFT100 test kit. Buy the test kit and the next time you have to go to the pool store, you can tell them exactly what and how much you need. For kicks, you can have them test your water. The smarter you get, the less costly it becomes.

When I walk into my pool store...they don't even bum rush me anymore...they know I am only there to buy liquid chlorine and nothing else...two cases less than $21 bucks that is $2.63 a bottle of 12.5 percent chlorine. They really don't like it when I tell the person who just walked up to the counter with $180 worth of chemicals that they don't need all of that. I have been politely asked to leave!

WOW you guys have encountered some really dishonest pool stores. I guess I am lucky. I have never encountered this type of thing. In fact they did not even suggest I buy CYA after that low reading. They actually are pretty conservative but it is a small mom and pop type store not a big chain so maybe that is why.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LisaM said:
WOW you guys have encountered some really dishonest pool stores. I guess I am lucky. I have never encountered this type of thing. In fact they did not even suggest I buy CYA after that low reading. They actually are pretty conservative but it is a small mom and pop type store not a big chain so maybe that is why.

Actually my pool store has been great. I go to The Great Escape by my home. They have been great about the pool equipment. On day 2 my pump exploded...they gave me a brand new one no questions asked...The ladder system they sold me was supposed to meet all area codes. It did not...they gave me the ladder that met code (which was $100 more) for nothing. They have even at times just given me the little plastic C clips that hold the pump basket to the pump for nothing as well. I am always breaking those litte things. But they don't know much about pool care, Which I think is a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.