Tablets or Bleach ?

Jun 2, 2011
La Crosse, WI
Hello,
We have had a pool for years and have always just used pool store chemicals. This year I have started to use some of the BBB methods and I'm wondering about day to day chlorine.

I have an inline tablet feeder and normally use 3" tablets in it. ($90 for a 25# bucket!) Can someone explain what is required on a day to day basis to maintain chlorine using bleach?

I opened the pool this past monday to a green monster, using a few bottles of bleach and a few boxes of borax, the water was pretty clear by wednesday night! Just a slight bit of cloudyness left.

Using test strips (I know, I just ordered a K2006 kit a few minutes ago!) I had the following reading this morning, but they seem to fluctuate to much to put any faith in them:
pH = 6.4
FC = 2
TA = 100

If your PH test result is correct, your PH is way to low. The Taylor PH test only goes down to 6.8, so I'm not sure how you got a result of 6.4.

Bleach generally needs to be added every day, pour slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running.

1. It's difficult to tell you what is required to maintain chlorine in your pool, as it can vary based on how much sun you get, your bather load, your CYA levels, etc. It is something you'll have to monitor until you get a feel for it.

2. Using a few bottles of bleach and borax isn't really going through the shock process. It's possible you have algae still left behind, and if so your pool will consume more chlorine than it should, and if your FC drops low the algae will come back quickly. I suggest you go through the shock process as outlined in Pool School.

3. As you found out already, strips are unreliable. A good test kit would help tremendously, especially since you need to go through the shock process, which is going to require something more reliable than your strips. You also need an accurate CYA measurement, especially since you've been using those trichlor tablets.

Once you have accurate measurements, poolcalculator.com can help you get your amounts right.

JasonLion said:
If your PH test result is correct, your PH is way to low. The Taylor PH test only goes down to 6.8, so I'm not sure how you got a result of 6.4.

Bleach generally needs to be added every day, pour slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running.

I got the pH result via test strip, which also shows a stabilizer (CYA?) of 30-50...

If adding bleach on a daily basis, what do you when you are gone for a week etc?

If your CYA levels are not too high, you can use trichlor tablets in floaters while you are gone. You can also have a friend come by and just dump a bottle of bleach in daily. If it's not too long, you can bring your pool up to shock level and let it settle down while you are gone. Those are the manual methods, there are also automated ways to add chlorine such as the Liquidator (what I use), Salt Water Chlorine Generators, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.