Need Help - Motor Died

Jun 2, 2011
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys (after doing some reading here, it seems like a lot of you know your stuff).

I moved into my house in Jan, and have absolutely ZERO history on the house or pool.

I'm guessing its between 15-20k gallons, has Fafco solar panels, and 3 returns/jets. The pool was running 24/7 for at least 3 months before I moved in (the switch (which was bad) was bypassed).

I got it up and running, and it has been good to me the past few months. Until the yesterday when I noticed the pump motor sounded as if it were seized. You can hear the motor try to start, does so for about 10-15 sec, and trips the breaker (110v).

I am new to maintaining a pool, and don't really know what my options are (besides replacing the whole pump).

What do you recommend? btw, I live in Florida, so the pool will be used almost all year long.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

This is my pump info:
IMG_20110206_132401.jpg

Link to full size photo

If I replace just the motor, what is involved? I've very mechanically savy and not afraid of taking things apart.

What motor should I buy to replace the one I have? I'm assuming while its apart, it would be a good idea to replace any seals it may have, right?

To replace that motor you'll have to take the wet end apart and remove the impeller then remove the motor mounting bolts. Reverse to put it back together.

You have two options for the replacement. It will have to match the one you have now.
1) If you replace in kind you'll need a motor that's 115/230 volts, 56Y frame, 1.25 SF x HP.

2) You can go with a 2-speed motor and it needs to be whatever voltage (either 115 or 230) you have now. and the high speed needs to match the rest of the specs.

ok, sorry to keep asking questions...but is there any advantage of a 2-speed motor, besides using less power?

The solar panels are on the majority of the time (we do a lot of swimming at night) so would it be better to stick with the single speed? (I've heard that 2-speed pumps can't handle the panels [which are on top of a second story] at low speed)

Also, would this be an option? Amazon

Myst420 said:
ok, sorry to keep asking questions...but is there any advantage of a 2-speed motor, besides using less power?

The solar panels are on the majority of the time (we do a lot of swimming at night) so would it be better to stick with the single speed? (I've heard that 2-speed pumps can't handle the panels [which are on top of a second story] at low speed)

Also, would this be an option? Amazon

My Hayward did that last summer...I read about a centrifual switch which is at the back end of the motor, and that they sometimes get moved and it throws off the switch. I thought mine was bound up too...but the shaft turned...does your impeller turn...Take apart the rear end of the pump...be sure to place the screws on paper labling where they go...it can be confusing to put back. Once I got the back end of the motor exposed I meerly turned the centrifugal switch until it was back in place. I put it all back together and plugged it in and it has worked fine ever since.

Finally, if you want to replace...Doheney's water warehouse has emerson replacement motors...the price is probably pretty good...I think it is www.doheney's.com. But just google it.

Have you tried spinning the impeller or shaft by hand? That's exactly how a motor with a bad capacitor acts. A hum for a short while and then the breaker trips.

You guys are awesome! At least I have hope of saving my motor. I will go check the motor as soon as I get home today, and will report my findings!

I did notice someone mention lubing the centrifugal switch...if the switch is in fact the problem, should I put some kind of electrical grease on it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Myst420 said:
You guys are awesome! At least I have hope of saving my motor. I will go check the motor as soon as I get home today, and will report my findings!

I did notice someone mention lubing the centrifugal switch...if the switch is in fact the problem, should I put some kind of electrical grease on it?

I don't know if it is necessary...if you have the owners manual for the pump you might look. Mine didn't say anything about doing so. The Centrifugal switch is what starts the shaft spinning. It kicks on and gets it up to RPMs...then kicks off. Sometimes the Torque lets it jump out of alignment...Since your motor is humming I would venture to guess it is one of the two issues described...either a capacitor or the CF switch. Good luck and be sure to report in.

Well guys,

I opened up my motor yesterday, and all I found was LOTS of Rust. The shaft did in fact spin freely, but I couldn't find a cintrifugal switch. All I saw on the back was the wiring, and the capacitor. When you take the back plate off, there isn't much in there either. So I'm thinking I'm in the market for a new motor.

I do need some help tho...While I had the motor out, I attempted to take on the impeller, and it would not come off. Is there a trick to getting these things off? I tried holding the shaft with a wrench and turning the impeller with a large pair of pliers, but it seemed all I was doing was eating at the plastic impeller. Any ideas??

btw, this is what the inside of my motor looks like:

IMG_20110602_174018.jpg

Myst420 said:
Well guys,

I opened up my motor yesterday, and all I found was LOTS of Rust. The shaft did in fact spin freely, but I couldn't find a cintrifugal switch. All I saw on the back was the wiring, and the capacitor. When you take the back plate off, there isn't much in there either. So I'm thinking I'm in the market for a new motor.

I do need some help tho...While I had the motor out, I attempted to take on the impeller, and it would not come off. Is there a trick to getting these things off? I tried holding the shaft with a wrench and turning the impeller with a large pair of pliers, but it seemed all I was doing was eating at the plastic impeller. Any ideas??

btw, this is what the inside of my motor looks like:

IMG_20110602_174018.jpg

Impellers themselves are usually wound in reverse...i.e. the windings are reversed so you need to kind of think the opposite of lefty lucy righty tighty. If you tried that...well then you might just be in the market for a new motor. Leslie's pool has 1 and 1.5 HP Hayward Max Flos on sale for $224 and $244 Or as I said, Doheney's water warehouse has replacement Emerson's like you have. Not sure on the prices.

cubbybeave08 said:
Impellers themselves are usually wound in reverse...i.e. the windings are reversed so you need to kind of think the opposite of lefty lucy righty tighty. If you tried that...well then you might just be in the market for a new motor. Leslie's pool has 1 and 1.5 HP Hayward Max Flos on sale for $224 and $244 Or as I said, Doheney's water warehouse has replacement Emerson's like you have. Not sure on the prices.

hmm...I was trying to turn it counter-clockwise. I need the impeller to come off in order to change only the motor, correct? meaning if I can't get the impeller off, I would have to change the motor, along with all the attached hardware?

Would it be possible (assuming the impeller won't thread off) to break it and still be able to remove the rest of the housing?

Sorry to say this but I was wrong Doheny's does not carry the emerson replacements. I read it somewhere in one of the many pool catalogs I get. But they do have the Hayward Powerflo's 1 and 1.5 HPs for $214 and $229 a piece. Leslies Pool has Emerson replacement motors at this link

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pumps-a ... otors.html

However you can get the whole new pump either at Doheny's or Leslie's for less than the replacement moter.

Hello all, Newbie here.

Just found this thread and I think it is right up my alley of bad luck

I have a Pentair Whisperflo WFE-4 1hp motor that runs my pond in front of my house. I was draining the pond the other day and cleaned out the filter. After that I turned the pump on and it kinda started to re prime itself, then I heard what I thought was a hi pitched noise then it stopped, I heard it hum for a few seconds then tripped the breaker.

I shut all power off stuck my hand down in there to see if the impeller would turn and it turned just fine.

Sounds like I might be in the same boat as the OP. Just a different model.......

How should I proceed?

Same suggestions apply. Check that the centrifugal switch on the rear of the motor and the capacitor (if there is one) are in good operating order. If not, capacitors are cheap and easily replaced. CF switches can usually be repaired but also replaced with some effort. If both check out, you may have to look for a new motor.

Hi all,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help (and didn't want to leave the thread hanging). I picked up my new motor yesterday and had it up and running in about 30 minutes. I replaced the motor, impeller, and seals for $220 :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.