Dichlor

May 31, 2011
College Station, TX
Good morning. I'm on day 3 of owning a pool for the first time. I am following the "Beginners Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools" http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide found in Pool School. I have just one question at the moment, and that is concerning "Dichlor". I found what I think I need at Lowe's but the active ingredient is "Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione 15%", Is that the same as "dichloro-s-triazinetrione"? I couldn't find anything without the "Sodium". Am I good using this as my "pool shock"? Thanks in advance!

Yes, anything with "dichlor" in it is the stuff. I agree with JasonLion though; that is a very weak formulation. I don't think that I have ever run across 15% dichlor before. Got some last week from Kroger which was 99%.

Thanks for the replies. So the recommendation of "add one ounce of dichlor for every 500 gallons of water" in step 5 of Beginners Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. Does that assume a 99% dichlor? Should I increase it to 6 or 7 ounces per 500 gallons since my Dichlor is only 15% ?

Yes, it assumes 99% Dichlor, but I wouldn't add your product without knowing what else is in the product. If it were something like copper, it could end up staining your pool. If it were possible for you to take back the chemical, you should do that, but normally pool stores don't take back chemicals even if unopened.

I was trying to avoid the pool store, but after several trips to various box stores and grocery stores the best I could find was 15% Dichlor. I was out of town yesterday and passed by a Leslie's so I bought 5 lbs of 99% Dichlor. I started with that last night and added 1 lb. and left the pump running over night. This morning I've got FC 15ppm and CYA test has the water (in the test tube) slightly cloudy, but the dot is still visible with the tube completely full, but that's greater than zero, so it's coming up. Is it safe to swim at FC 15ppm and CYA barely above zero and pH 7.5?

Good to hear that progress is being made.

I don't try to all out avoid the pool store. Sometimes, they really are the best place to purchase things. I just don't take their advice. :mrgreen:

We don't advocate swimming in pool water that has a FC above shock level for a given CYA. But, that doesn't mean that people always adhere to these recommendations. Some still swim anyway and somehow, they almost always live to tell about it. :)

Hey Tresmer, I would recommend you pick up some Fiber Clear from Leslie's ($13.49 sale right now) as well. This stuff really helps to filter out all the small stuff the intex filters can't. I have only been using it for a day now and the results are amazing. Good luck with your pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.