Pool Equipment pad size.

I'm in the planning stage now and was trying to decide on the size and placement of the equipment pad. I'm in South Carolina so I wouldn't have a heater. Just pump/cartridge filter/SWG etc.. How large of a space do I need for this equipment.

Also....probably a stupid idea but has anyone put their equipment under a deck. Location wise it really makes sense. I have about 5' of headroom under there, which would be kind of a pain since I can't stand up.

Any thoughts?

My suggestion would be to make some paper or carboard cutouts of the items you want on your pad and lay them out on the ground. Next, walk around between all these items. Once you think you have the right size...add 10% - 20%.

In my case, it is a bit of a pain to try and work on my equipment because the installer put all the equipment so close together. PVC pipe is cheap compared to frustration when you have to clean the filter or troubleshoot a leak.

Not sure that I would put the equipment under a five foot ceiling, but I would (in my case) put some sort of a roof over the whole thing in order to protect the equipment from sun. You could even make the 'roof' retractable or moveable...the possibilities are endless if you have the space and imagination. I think Walt Disney capitalized on that idea. :lol:

My equipment sits on (6) 16"x16" patio blocks, the heater probably uses 2. I think 4 should do the trick for a 250lb sand filter and pump. I can double check when I get home and see exactly how much space is used.

I'd think you could deal with 5ft of head room. It wouldn't be optimal, but if you don't have to walk far it might work.

When laying out your pad, don't run any plumbing into the concrete. You'll be changing equipment one day, and dirt digs a whole lot easier than concrete.

Bigger better....I have a heater and 3 pumps and load center. By local code the load center has to be 18" from the equipment. My pad is cut out to be 14 x 4. I believe the bigger the better as you never know what the future holds.

My 2004 Anthony&Sylvan pool was built with no pad. Each component (only filter and motor in my case) had their own pre-cast concrete pad of appropriate size. Set-up has been trouble-free for seven years and if I have to change anything or dig up a pipe, it will be a snap. I was skeptical when I first saw it, but the proof is in the pudding.

JohnT said:
I'd think you could deal with 5ft of head room. It wouldn't be optimal, but if you don't have to walk far it might work.

When laying out your pad, don't run any plumbing into the concrete. You'll be changing equipment one day, and dirt digs a whole lot easier than concrete.

Amen--if the concrete settles with cast in plumbing lines, it could break the plumbing, and even if it doesn't it's much harder to repair either way. If it's absolutely necessary to run the plumbing down through the slab, make sure that it's run through sleeve pipes at least 2 inches larger in diameter.

Go big, like they said. Insist they use plenty of unions.

I have a leaky booster pump that will need to have pipes cut to remove it, and I don't think the stumps are long enough to attach a coupler or union to! Plus, it will have to be tilted up and lifted out over a mess of piping and a heater - no room to move at all. My backflush valve is no picnic to reach either - I have to lay on my left side and stretch to reach it. Good thing I'm used to contortionism from being a mechanic.

Richard320 said:
Go big, like they said. Insist they use plenty of unions.

I have a leaky booster pump that will need to have pipes cut to remove it, and I don't think the stumps are long enough to attach a coupler or union to! Plus, it will have to be tilted up and lifted out over a mess of piping and a heater - no room to move at all. My backflush valve is no picnic to reach either - I have to lay on my left side and stretch to reach it. Good thing I'm used to contortionism from being a mechanic.
Nice!! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.