Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Equipment pad size.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Equipment pad size.

I'm in the planning stage now and was trying to decide on the size and placement of the equipment pad. I'm in South Carolina so I wouldn't have a heater. Just pump/cartridge filter/SWG etc.. How large of a space do I need for this equipment.

Also....probably a stupid idea but has anyone put their equipment under a deck. Location wise it really makes sense. I have about 5' of headroom under there, which would be kind of a pain since I can't stand up.

Any thoughts?
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Equipment pad size.

My suggestion would be to make some paper or carboard cutouts of the items you want on your pad and lay them out on the ground. Next, walk around between all these items. Once you think you have the right size...add 10% - 20%.

In my case, it is a bit of a pain to try and work on my equipment because the installer put all the equipment so close together. PVC pipe is cheap compared to frustration when you have to clean the filter or troubleshoot a leak.

Not sure that I would put the equipment under a five foot ceiling, but I would (in my case) put some sort of a roof over the whole thing in order to protect the equipment from sun. You could even make the 'roof' retractable or moveable...the possibilities are endless if you have the space and imagination. I think Walt Disney capitalized on that idea.
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

My equipment sits on (6) 16"x16" patio blocks, the heater probably uses 2. I think 4 should do the trick for a 250lb sand filter and pump. I can double check when I get home and see exactly how much space is used.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd think you could deal with 5ft of head room. It wouldn't be optimal, but if you don't have to walk far it might work.

When laying out your pad, don't run any plumbing into the concrete. You'll be changing equipment one day, and dirt digs a whole lot easier than concrete.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Bigger better....I have a heater and 3 pumps and load center. By local code the load center has to be 18" from the equipment. My pad is cut out to be 14 x 4. I believe the bigger the better as you never know what the future holds.
    34 x 19 salt water free form. 7.5" inside diameter raised spa. 24" raised beam in back. 3 moss rock waterfalls off raised beam and moss rock waterfall out of the spa. (2) Intelliflo VF pumps, 420 Cartridge Filter, 400 BTU Pentair low nox heater. 2.5" suction and 2" returns throughout.

6. Back To Top    #6

My 2004 Anthony&Sylvan pool was built with no pad. Each component (only filter and motor in my case) had their own pre-cast concrete pad of appropriate size. Set-up has been trouble-free for seven years and if I have to change anything or dig up a pipe, it will be a snap. I was skeptical when I first saw it, but the proof is in the pudding.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I'd think you could deal with 5ft of head room. It wouldn't be optimal, but if you don't have to walk far it might work.

When laying out your pad, don't run any plumbing into the concrete. You'll be changing equipment one day, and dirt digs a whole lot easier than concrete.

Amen--if the concrete settles with cast in plumbing lines, it could break the plumbing, and even if it doesn't it's much harder to repair either way. If it's absolutely necessary to run the plumbing down through the slab, make sure that it's run through sleeve pipes at least 2 inches larger in diameter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Go big, like they said. Insist they use plenty of unions.

I have a leaky booster pump that will need to have pipes cut to remove it, and I don't think the stumps are long enough to attach a coupler or union to! Plus, it will have to be tilted up and lifted out over a mess of piping and a heater - no room to move at all. My backflush valve is no picnic to reach either - I have to lay on my left side and stretch to reach it. Good thing I'm used to contortionism from being a mechanic.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

They are putting a 4'x12' slab for my pool equipment in case I want to add a heater at a later date. Originally, it was going to be 4'x10'
    Jonell Day Kenagy

Pacific Northwest
    indoor pool approx. 20K gallons, SPA at one end (included in water filtration/heater system) Hallmark 1980 pool:concrete bottom with ledge the vinyl (fiberglass?) Hallmark panels to form pool walls. Constant problem with 'blisters' on these vinyl walls!) Ready to repaint.
    Chlorine chemistry. Teledyne Laars 175 heater, Hallmark pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Go big, like they said. Insist they use plenty of unions.

I have a leaky booster pump that will need to have pipes cut to remove it, and I don't think the stumps are long enough to attach a coupler or union to! Plus, it will have to be tilted up and lifted out over a mess of piping and a heater - no room to move at all. My backflush valve is no picnic to reach either - I have to lay on my left side and stretch to reach it. Good thing I'm used to contortionism from being a mechanic.
    Nice!! LOL
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

11. Back To Top    #11

i think you'll need more than 5 feet of headroom for when you have to disassemble your cartridge filter to clean it.