pH question

Pool chemistry:

FC: 10
TA 75
pH: 7.1
CYA: 0 (added the requisite amount of CYA to get to 80 ppm, waiting to test it again)
Borates: 40

Now, I have to raise the pH, right? I'll probably test it again later today when the FC will be lower (just finished superchlorinating). But to do that I have to add borax right? Is adding the 125 oz it will take to raise my pH going to have that much effect on my borate level? Now, isn't it a problem if I keep adding borax over time since borates don't degrade? Thanks.

Yes, you should raise your PH a little.

Using borax does raise the borate level, but it raises it so slowly that you will never accumulate a significant borate level that way. The quantity of borax you need to use to raise the borate level significantly is huge, 15 or 16 boxes of borax, and before you get anywhere near that you will be losing borax through splash out, and backwashing.

I always wondered how you aerate your pool. It's not like I have a couple of fountains I can turn on and off :)

So, on the Pool Calculator, it asks your TA and borate level as well as your pH starting point. Why would the amount of borax change based on varying TA and borate levels?

hyperchord24 said:
I always wondered how you aerate your pool. It's not like I have a couple of fountains I can turn on and off :)
If you have eyeball returns, you can point them upwards with the pump on high to create surface disturbance of the water. That's what I usually do in my pool when I want to aerate. Of course, you could make something like this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.