Algae clean-up question

chdolfnz

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2009
Lancaster, pa
Hello all,

Opened my 24' AGP to a green swamp!!..I am starting my super chlorinating process tomorrow to try to clear it up.
I think I have all the info to start the process..(read info in pool school and other people's threads)..just have 1 question..(at least for now!!)

When I want to vac up all the dead algae and other Crud on the bottom..do you think using a Pool Rover will be sufficient enough to clean up everything?..or do you think using the regular pole vac to waste would be better? I just purchased the Pool Rover Jr..haven't used it yet so I'm not sure how it works. I guess I will have empty the on board filter a lot, seeing as there will be a lot of Crud to vacuum?

Thanks for any advice..and hopefully I can clear up this mess, as the kids are bugging to swim!!

Curt

I would think twice about putting an expensive cleaner in the pool at shock level. I know my Dolphin came with a disclaimer on the warranty in regards to using it when chlorine levels are too high.

OK!!....Thanks so much!!..I never thought about the high chlorine levels having a negative impact on the Rover.

That is what you guys are here for!! To think for us!!...ha ha!!

Thanks again, and hopefully I can rid the pool of the green monster!! and if I need help, I will be back!!

Curt

Ok...I am back as I said!!!
Everything seems to be going ok so far...got my CYA up to around 50...been keeping the pool at shock level for most of today.
The pool turned from green to cloudy white overnight!!...which sort of amazed me. Thought it would take longer to get the green out!!
I know I am a long way off..but the process seems to be working. I keep brushing the pool and kick up a cloud of debris which I then backwash out when the pressure goes up in the sand filter. I am going to vacuum the pool now..that is where my question is...

Should I backwash to waste?...and if so, this will drop the level of the pool, right?..so I will have to keep an eye on the level as not to go to low?

Thanks for the advice!!

Curt

Yes, backwash to waste. it will drop the level of the pool so just backwash enough to clean the filter out. Also keep in mind that when you backwash, you send chemicals down the drain too including CYA. Because of this, you only want to backwash when you absolutely have to.

If you have a multi-position main valve that allows you to vacuum to waste, then doing so occasionally has some advantages, but I wouldn't do so all the time. Vacuuming to waste is only worth it when there is a lot of stuff you want to get completely out of the pool right away. Since vacuuming to waste pumps water out of the pool, you don't want to do that all the time.

ok..thanks!!...I'm not sure what is on the bottom to vacuum??..the water is too cloudy to see now..when I brush the bottom now, I don't get the big green cloud I was getting yesterday when I would brush. I think I will just vac through the filter and backwash as the pressure rises. The chlorine drop is now taking longer between additions, so hopefully the end will be not so far away!!..as they say.."patience is a virtue"...

Curt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK...update!!..After 8 days of shocking, brushing, vacing, and backwashing, the pool has cleared up nicely and last night passed the overnight chlorine loss test!!... :whoot:

The pool is still a bit cloudy though, and here is where my question is....do I need to keep the pool at shock level until it clears up totally, or can I let the chlorine come down to the normal level??.(the kids and wife are buggin the Crud out of me to swim!!!)...I have a sand filter and I know from other posts that it could take a long time to clear with sand...and should I still run the pump 24/7 until it clears?

I am eventually going to hook up my Aqua Trol SWG..it is plumbed in and ready to go..just need to get the water chemistry straight before I do.

Thanks for any help!!

Curt

Curt,

Normally, we suggest leaving the FC at shock value until the water is perfectly clear. In your case, having passed the overnight test, I would let the FC start to drift down.

Do run your filter 24/7 and do go swimming! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.