Cloudy Water

reneec

Jun 12, 2007
I need some help. My water had been fine and all the sudden it is cloudy. Having a party on Friday for my daughter and desperately need to clear the water.

Clorine 4.5
PH 7.2
TA 230

Vinyl pool

What should I do? I know Borax will raise PH, but I also need to lower TA........

Renee

reneec said:
Ok, I think I figured it out and tested correctly this time. I was confused. My FC is 4 my cc is 1.
So what I don't understand is why to shock when I already have so much FC.
Off to Pool School for you :) Read the beginner articles and hop straight to "How to Shock Your Pool".

I suggest you get started quickly to try to beat the party time!

The CC is the waste product of chlorination and is an irritant. If you have 1 ppm of CC or more then you need to shock. If your water is cloudy as you say that is another indication that you need to shock. Use CYA/Chlorine Chart to find the shock level for your pool. The quicker you get the pool to shock level the quicker it will clear. Keep the pump running 24/7 and clean the filter when there is a 10 rise in pressure.

When you have a CC value of greater than .5 it means you have stuff in your pool (algae) that is causing the water to be cloudy. In order to get rid of this stuff you need to bring the FC much higher than you normally would in order to kill of this stuff. Just having 4 ppm of chlorine in your case will not get rid of it. You have to bring the FC up to about 10 ppm and keep it there until the CC goes down below .5 and your water clears up and you pass what is called an overnight FC test. This is where you test the water FC level when the sun goes down and test the FC level again before the sun comes up. If the FC drop during that time is less than 1 you passed!

So add more chlorine to get to 10 and check it every hour to start and keep it at 10. If you let it go down below 10 you may have to start the process over. Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.