Adding salt to pool for saltwater system prep

Two years ago we bought a 18 x 48 intex easy set pool and we sunk tons of money into chemicals trying to keep our water from being green and it was just impossible and we are novices to pools and the upkeep, so whatever they told us to do at the pool store after testing our water we did, and still we had nothing but green water. So we didn't mess with it last year and we decided this year to set it up and order the intex krystal clear saltwater system, and now we are waiting for it to be delivered and my question is can I go ahead and add 120 lbs. of pool salt to the pool water so that it can start dissolving while I wait for the arrival of the saltwater system???

Welcome to TFP! Before adding salt, you should test the water in the pool to see what the salt content is. You will have some, even if it is freshly filled from your garden hose. Use the pool calculator to figure out exactly how much salt to add. It's perfectly fine to add the salt before installing a SWG. Read through pool school, you'll learn how to easily manage your pool without ever asking the pool store for advice :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

You need to continually test your water. The intex saltwater system is just an automated way to add chlorine ( I have one). A salt pool is a chlorine pool. The system will not keep the water from going green or being overchlorinated. Proper testing and monitoring of pool water chemistry by you on a regular basis will :goodjob: Take a read though Pool School...link in my sig

Post some test results when you have them and we would be glad to help:wave:

Welcome to TFP!

You asked, "...my question is can I go ahead and add 120 lbs. of pool salt to the pool water so that it can start dissolving while I wait for the arrival of the saltwater system???"

The salt should dissolve in less than hour, especially if you use a brush to stir it. So no need to worry about starting the "dissolving" process prior to getting the SWG.

TFP is all about empowering you, the pool owner, so that you know what you put in your pool and why. This will prevent you from spending lots of money and time at the pool store, and instead spend lots of time in your pool. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.