Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: soaking hayward ec40 fingers in muriatic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

soaking hayward ec40 fingers in muriatic acid

and that stuff is NASTY!!! Honestly, I'm afraid to even have it in my house now But, my question is, after I am done with this stuff, how do I dispose of it responsibly? The instructions were to soak it in a 5 gallon bucket over night at a 1:1 ratio, so now I've got about 4 gallons of this mix to get rid of- any others that have dealt with this have any answers? Thank you all, again!
    Lori
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    15 X 30 Above Ground Pool (10,600 Gallons)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: soaking hayward ec40 fingers in muriatic acid

You should be fine pouring it down the drain. You can add more water to dilute if you are concerned.

How did it turn out? I just did the detergent process to an EC65 and was able to forgo the MA step.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: soaking hayward ec40 fingers in muriatic acid

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    You should be fine pouring it down the drain. You can add more water to dilute if you are concerned.

How did it turn out? I just did the detergent process to an EC65 and was able to forgo the MA step.

I'm sure I made it a lot more of a lengthy process than necessary, but here's what I did. I read online that you should neutralize it with baking soda and then dispose of it, so that's what I did. I am a little neurotic when it comes to things like such, so after I neutralized it with the baking soda, I diluted it a LOT more and then dumped it, when it smelled like nothing but water. I know it was probably overkill, but .... well, like I said .

This is the filter that came with our pool, but this is the first time using it, and it was obvious that the previous owner hadn't cleaned it. So.... I'm hoping that after this good cleaning, it shouldn't need such a lengthy process again and perhaps I will be able to just clean it with detergent. I'm still learning Thanks for your help!
    Lori
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    15 X 30 Above Ground Pool (10,600 Gallons)