Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Particals In Water At Night ..... Why?

1. Back To Top    #1

Particals In Water At Night ..... Why?

I run my filter 24 hrs a day, I estimate i turn my pool over about 4 times per day. My PDA says my salt level is 2600 ppm, currently i have my SCG at 50%. However i have only used test strips for checking levels.

HACH Aquacheck 7 Strips
    Th 250
    Tc 2
    Fc 4
    pH 7.6
    Ta 100
    Ca 50

These are the only test i have currently. Any time i take my water up for testing they always say it is perfect, and generally i dont have issues ever with water chemistry.

My issue is from day one (3 years now) at night when i turn on the firber optic underwater lights i see millions of what looks like particals, almost a haze. During the day the water is absolutly clear. Also this season i have noticed more bubbles at the return jets and the slide when it is on.

This year when i started the pool up i switched to a DE subsitute that claims it filters even smaller particals than DE.
    Jandy DE48 Filter
    Jandy Stealth 1.5 hp Pump
    Jandy Aquapure 14 Blade SCG
    Jandy PDA 8 Control & Power Center
    Raypak 399k BTU Heater
    20k Gal, Inground Fiberglass
    3' - 6' Depth, 38'X16' Rectangle

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Particals In Water At Night ..... Why?

First off, I wouldn't use the strips - they just aren't reliable.

FC + CC = TC so your TC can't be 2 if your FC is 4.

I would turn off the SWG and make sure your FC is holding overnight.

If the problem isn't related to your chlorine level, perhaps clean out the filter of the replacement stuff and try traditional DE and see if you notice any improvement.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

You can always see some particles at night using an underwater light, even with the very best filtering. They are there all the time, you just can't see them during the day. A DE filter, with DE or fiber, will get more of them out than other kinds of filters, but it will never get all of them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Should I submit a pic
    Jandy DE48 Filter
    Raypak 399k BTU Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

There will always be floaters in the water. Filtering is inexact - it's not like you suck all the water out into another tank then filter every drop of it before putting it back in the pool.

Aside from the floaters you see in the light, is the water clear? Can you drop a dime in the deep end and see it from the deck? Can you tell if it's heads or tails? (The last part's a joke, by the way.)

You may be developing sparklypoolitis.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

At night? Fiber optic on or off?
    Jandy DE48 Filter
    Raypak 399k BTU Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool should be clear so that you can easily see the drains in the deep end. Look at this picture of my pool during the day and this one at night where the drains and pool sweep are clearly visible even looking diagonally through the water from a distance. In fact, at night it should look almost as if there is no water in the pool except for the color tinge from the lights. Take a look at this thread for some photo examples of the expected clarity -- I have a post there that shows the floaters in front of the lamp (I have a cartridge filter).

I see floaters in my pool in front of the lamp as well. And yes, if you have a pic then that can help.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

I will get some pics tonight, I think I have more particles than yours shows. I can clearly see the deep.end floor at night. My pool does not have a main drain. I will toss a dime in tonight and take a pic.
    Jandy DE48 Filter
    Raypak 399k BTU Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

forgot my 8th grade daughter had the last day of school party so I had 25-35 kids in the pool for nearly 4 hours........FC went from 3 to under 1 with SCG running 100%!!! i will post tomorrow.
    Jandy DE48 Filter
    Raypak 399k BTU Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

>> I run my filter 24 hrs a day...see millions of what looks like particals, almost a haze.

what has helped me is to run the pump at superslow speed for 5 hours each day, in addition to ultraslow speed for 3 days / 24 hours / day. In ultraslow mode, I use below 90 watts of power and the water is absolutely clear with underwater lights on at night.

11. Back To Top    #11

ok been out of town but i am back...... i am going to get a test kit i know that TFP like two kits but has anyone used the ColorQ Pro 7 or 11 kits?
    Jandy DE48 Filter
    Raypak 399k BTU Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

never mid just read a thread on the topic, i will get the drop kit 1st. FYI just found my backyard is in the St Louis Home Magazine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jandy DE48 Filter
    Raypak 399k BTU Heater