Week Old Plaster (Newbie)...

Apr 25, 2011
Colorscapes quartz plaster was done one week ago.

pH was off the charts, but I got pH under control today (7.5).... Finally. :whoot:

I have an SWG, but it won't be used for a month. In the meantime, I am using 3" triclor tabs in each filter. They dissolve super slow (about 3 days). I currently have 2 in each skimmer. Chlorine test is still clear, not even a .5 reading.

QUESTION #1 - I just read the fine print on the Trichlor bucket. It said DO NOT PUT TABS IN SKIMMER, as it will damage equipment (WHAT??) All I've been told and read is to put them in the skimmer. Should I put them in something else? Should I take them out immediately?

QUESTION #2- Can I add bleach at the same time that the Trichlor is in the skimmer (or alternative place)? Will that add to the chlorine level, so we can sanitize and swim? Where do I pour bleach...all around or over returns? Any certain "brand" of bleach?

Thanks so much! :lol:

Like Jason said you want to add chlorine slow! I think it's still way early. The pucks shouldn't do any damage, but if you don't feel comfortable put them in a floater. I would wait another week before I added any bleach.

If the Filter is running 24/7 you can leave tabs in the skimmer. Do not use tabs in the skimmer if the pump is on a timer and shuts off for periods.

Pour bleach directly in front of a return and allow the water to circulate for at least an hour after adding any chemicals.

No certain "brand" - I use store generic from Walmart or the grocery store. Avoid Dollar Store bleach which tends not to be as strong.

Test and add bleach hourly, until you can get a FC reading of at least 2 to hold, and to hold overnight. Did you add any CYA/stablizer separately?

If the pump is running 24/7 it's okay to put them in the skimmer. If the pump turns off, you'll get super-high chlorine and super low pH in a localized area, which could damage things, like the metal heater.

Yes, you can add bleach at the same time. Are you sure you want to do it? I would, but I trust the experts here more than my gut. It's your pool, however. Pour it in front of a return jet so it mixes well. Brand doesn't matter; what you want is Sodium Hypochlorite. No scents, no "no-splash formula," just bleach. Generally, it will be about 6%. If you don't see strength on the label somewhere, skip it. Most people buy it at Costco, Walmart, Target, somewhere cheap. You can also buy the same stuff but 12½% at pool stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. They may called it "liquid chlorine." or "liquid shock," or some other euphemism You'll have to do the math to figure out where and how it's cheapest. I get mine from a local pool store in returnable jugs, 4 to a crate.

There are plenty of threads describing how to calculate which is cheaper, and where people are finding deals.

It is so great to awake in the AM and find my answers..thanks guys!

Here are my numbers...

FC = 1.5
pH = 7.5
T/A = 40
CH = 70
CYA = 0

I have been reading more about the trichlor tabs in the skimmer and I am thinking it might be best to take them out and add diluted bleach to the deep end, slowly.

Max & Richard, you mentioned that you weren't sure if I should add the bleach...can you tell me why that may be bad? The benefits of bleach seem to out weight the risks of Trichlor tabs in the skimmer. Learning here, so just curious.

I have not added CYA/stabilizer, yet. It is still at zero. I am surprised that the tabs didn't make it go up a little. The Pool Calculator tells me to add 182oz of stabilizer just to get CYA up to 40. Is that right? Should I do that? Seems like a lot.

To raise mt T/A the calulator says to add 239 z of baking soda. Is that right? Should I do that? Should I really worry about that, yet?

Plaster was done a week ago today. Plaster people said we could swim right away. Just no sharp objects.

Once I get chlorine the level up, can we swim? My kids are dying here...lol! My kids want to have an end of school year gathering with neighborhood friends next week, since last day is 1/2 day for them. Swimming over this coming weekend would also be nice :cheers:
Thanks again!
[/color]

You are in the middle of a fresh plaster startup, you want trichlor in the skimmer and you want the pump running 24/7. Later, when things settle down, you will want to stop using trichlor. Trichlor adds chlorine, adds CYA, and lowers PH. You want all three of those things right now. Trichlor is nearly perfect for the first two or three weeks of a fresh plaster startup.

The trichlor is adding CYA, it is just adding it very slowly. The CYA test can measure CYA levels below about 20, and will report them as zero, so that is normal.

Do not adjust TA or CH or CYA or Salt or Borate just yet. Wait until at least three weeks after the plaster was applied.

You can swim any time you have a measurable FC level and PH is between 7.2 and 7.8, so you are good to go in as long as you keep PH under control.

Exactly what Jason said! Remember these first few weeks are going to determine what your finish is going to look like for many years so you don't want to screw it up rushing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.