Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How fast can algae grow? This is unbelievable...

How fast can algae grow? This is unbelievable...

New pool. Been fighting to get things in balance. There were delays between filling an electrical hookup and then getting chlorine levels up. Everything was looking good until the concrete deck was poured and my robot died. I thought that the **** in the pool was just dirt and remnants of concrete/sand. I finally got pool cleaner replaced and now it appears that I'm stuck with brown algae and not dirt.

I am in the process of shocking, I'm up to FC of 20 but ran out of bleach. My SWG is on 100% and I should be up to over 30 by morning. It's oversized so 5% keeps me in the 5-7 range. CC 0 pH 7.2 TA 125(down from 250) CYA 70-80 if memory serves me.

There is no pollen now and no dust storm is evident. My new robot got a bit of sand but it wasn't too full. My filter pressure has gone from 0-1 to about 8 in a week. I plan to clean the cartridges ASAP.

What is surprising is that I brush the entire pool and in an hour I have clumps of brown on the bottom and my steps, which include a wide platform first step, are starting to get covered with brown. How fast can algae grow? This is astounding to me.

Any advice or should I just keep shocking and adding acid to lower TA?
    Trilogy Fiberglass Picasso 5400 gallons
    Intelliflo 3050 with EasyTouch. Polaris 9300xi
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP320 Cartridge 320 sq. ft.
    IC20 Pentair SWG. Heat Siphon Z375. TF100

Re: How fast can algae grow? This is unbelievable...

I think that most of that algae was there well before you saw it, you just couldn't see it in the water until it fell to the bottom and clumped together after it died.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I think that most of that algae was there well before you saw it, you just couldn't see it in the water until it fell to the bottom and clumped together after it died.
    I hadn't thought of that but I like it. No algae like dead algae!
    Trilogy Fiberglass Picasso 5400 gallons
    Intelliflo 3050 with EasyTouch. Polaris 9300xi
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP320 Cartridge 320 sq. ft.
    IC20 Pentair SWG. Heat Siphon Z375. TF100

I got distracted over the long Memorial Day weekend and didn't test / treat until yesterday. I noticed a very slight green tint to the water - while swimming - not from the deck above. Sure enough - pH was way up and CL was way down ... and my face was itchy. Took care of business this morning ... back to clear blue silky water. Point is - the dreaded algae can reproduce quicker than rabbits!! (or cats!)
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

Algae takes from 3 to 8 hours to double in population under ideal conditions so it's not really that fast. However, if the chlorine level is low enough for algae to grow faster than chlorine can kill it, then it can seem to appear more quickly once there is enough to go from dull to cloudy to green (or directly to green, depending on the type of algae).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"