Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Solar Sensor Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Solar Sensor Question

Greetings,

As I am getting my solar setup going I recently bought the Pentair Solar Sensor and wired it into my Easytouch controller. My water and air temp sensors display correctly but when I check the solar temp it displays "0 F", not "ERR" but "0 F". I thought I might have had a bad unit so I switched the air and solar sensor and got the same result. It does not seem to matter if I have solar enabled or not.

Has anyone out there experienced this? Is there something else I am supposed to be doing here?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
    21K Gal Vinyl In Ground with block wall sides (Self Built with help), Pentair Easy Touch controller, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Intellichlor salt system, Clean and Clear Plus filter, SR Smith Typhoon Slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Solar Sensor Question

I just had a thought on this. It is in the early evening here now and my solar sensor is not in direct sunlight. Is it possible that this solar temp display is the temperature differential between the air temp and the solar temp sensors?

Thanks

Tom
    21K Gal Vinyl In Ground with block wall sides (Self Built with help), Pentair Easy Touch controller, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Intellichlor salt system, Clean and Clear Plus filter, SR Smith Typhoon Slide

3. Back To Top    #3

No, at night it should display close to the same temperature as the air sensor. It is worth double checking if you connected it correctly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks - that is what I thought it should be doing. From what the instructions say there is no polarity requirements on the cables. I will switch the red and black to see if that does the trick but I am not hopeful. I hope I don't have a bad board....

5. Back To Top    #5

Just tested the wiring - all snug. Changed the polarity - no difference. Looks like I need to call Pentair....

Too bad - they just had a service tech out here today replacing my chlorine generator cell that was not reading the salt levels right. If only UPS got here earlier with that solar sensor....

6. Back To Top    #6

Update - called Pentair and the sensor is not detected by the controller unless the system has solar mode enabled. I did this and after 10 minutes or so it was working properly. Phew!