Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air coming through return

1. Back To Top    #1

Air coming through return

When we first turn on the filter air bubbles come out of the return. It stops within a few minutes. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help!
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air coming through return

Maybe. Does your pump basket stay full? Any significant height difference between the top of the water and the pump?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I will have to check and see if the pump basket stays full when the filter is not on? I will look tomorrow. Should it stay full? The pump is higher than the top of the water.

Thanks!
    East TN
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

It should stay full, maybe you've got a minor leak (I'd say check the multiport valve to see if it's sending water down the backwash hose)
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If air is getting in the system (and it is), the leak is on the suction side.....somewhere between the impeller of the pump and the skimmer.

It is likely (but not always) that your pump strainer basket will have air in it when you check this AM but confirm that and we'll go from there.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm having the same problem... My fear is a line cracked over the winter. As soon as i shut off the pump the basket at the pump drains down some.
    18x36 Buster Crab in ground, 3' shallow 8' deep, Hayward super pump, 300lb sand filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

I checked when the filter is off and the water in the pump basket drops even with the incoming pipe. The pump is at a higher level than the pool. We were wondering if the water flows back toward the pool when the filter is off. When I turn it on, it just takes a few seconds for it to fill up. Is that still a problem?

Thanks!
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

You're getting air in the system and it's getting in the filter and when you shut the pump off the air in the filter is most likely pushing the water back out of the pump basket.

There are some common place's to check. The pump basket lid; inspect, clean, & lube it. The skimmer; make sure it's not creating a vortex, check weir for proper operation and not sticking. Pump basket drain plug; make sure it's not leaking.

If those things don't fix the problem then run water from a hose over the suction plumbing while the pump's running and see if the bubbles go away.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you so much!! I will check all of those possibilities. I have a difficult time removing the lid from the pump basket. I usually have to get a rubber mallet to get the lid to turn. Is there a way to relieve the pressure before opening the pump basket lid?

I have been a pool owner for less than 2 years and I have so much to learn. I really appreciate all of the help I get in this forum.
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd also check for air trapped in the filter. It will compress when the pump is running, and expand again when the pressure is off.

It's super easy to check. Just slowly open the air bleed on top the filter while the pump is running. If it hisses a bit before water starts shooting out, there's air. If water comes out immediately, it's ruled out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!