New pool owner, pool store woes, want to start the BBB.

Jun 1, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
New pool owner 14x28 in ground shallow end is 3ft deep end around 6 ft. I have spent a ton of money on chemicals over the last few weeks trying to get my levels in order. A week after the pool opened I took my water in for testing - the cyanuric acid was 150 and all my numbers were somewhat off. Another $50 spent and out the door I go - immediately I started researching this site and ordered the k-2006 test kit (which hasn't arrived yet). The pool company told me I had a 10k gallon pool but using the online calcs it shows me having a 13,200 gallon pool. I wonder if all of my numbers were so blatantly off because of the pool store testing my water as a 10k gallon?

Either way when I get my test kit I want to start using the BBB so I can save money. At this rate I will be spending $100 + a month just to hopefully keep the pool in check.

I have read through some of the information here but was wondering should I just post my numbers and seek advice on how to get started, or should I use some type of conversion method to get started?

Welcome to TFP...once you get the kit, post up the results and we'll get you going. IF, cya is really 150, you may have to replace roughly 50% of your water or perhaps Reverse osmosis is avail in your area?

dmanb2b said:
Welcome to TFP...once you get the kit, post up the results and we'll get you going. IF, cya is really 150, you may have to replace roughly 50% of your water or perhaps Reverse osmosis is avail in your area?

I replaced probably 10% of the water the best I could do. I ordered a longer backwash hose and plan to run it down the hill. Going to just drop my vac hose into the deep end/skimmer so I can pump as much out as possible. Again, I dont know if the cya level is off because of the testing or it is really that high..

Thanks again my wife is stressing about the tons of money this pool is costing us already - as new home owners this is very frustrating as we love the pool.

I have a 14 x 28 inground pool too. The Pool calculator says it is 14,700 gallons but the dig sheet said it is 10,963 and the pool store said it is 15,000 gallons. I'm going with what the Pool Calculator says. I recently got the Taylor K-2006 test kit and have been doing test the last couple of days. I am fighting to get the PH down. Yesterday it was 8.0 ppm and this evening it is 7.8 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.