Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New "Green" Muratic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Chesapeake, VA

New "Green" Muratic acid

Has anyone tried the new "Green" Muratic acid. I saw some at the local home center.

I was reluctant to try it because is did not specifically state it was the usual Baume 31% HCL.

Both were the same price and I was just wondering if it was the same concentration.
    27,000 gal Vinyl Grecian L, Hayward 1 HP pump, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Rite Chlorinator,
    Polaris P955, TF-100, Speed Stir, 400sqft solar panels.
    Jacuzzi J365

2. Back To Top    #2

Burlington, ON, Canada

Re: New "Green" Muratic acid

I just Googled 'green muriatic acid' and there are several brands. The big thing seems to be less fumes than regular MA. I found an MSDS for one of the brands and it shows

Hydrochloric acid {Hydrogen chloride} 7647-01-0 <25.0 %
    OSHA CEIL 5ppm (whatever this means??)
    ACGIH CEIL 2ppm (whatever this means as well)

Another brand's MSDS shows 19.81% of Hydrogen Chloride (same thing as Hydrochloric Acid??)
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Those "Green" products do have lower fumes, which is nice, but they also tend to be less strong, so you need to use more, and they contain additional ingredients that you don't always want to be putting in your pool. Unless the fumes are a major problem for you, I would stick with ordinary muriatic acid, it is less expensive and free of unwanted additives.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

You can usually buy half-strength Muriatic Acid (15-16% Hydrochloric Acid) that also fumes less and if at half the price of the full-strength then it's economical as well.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    You can usually buy half-strength Muriatic Acid (15-16% Hydrochloric Acid) that also fumes less and if at half the price of the full-strength then it's economical as well.
    Be careful however, I picked up some MA at TrueValue (after becoming familiar with Leslie's price) and it was the same price as the stuff I got from Leslies. Then I got it home and realized that it was 17.5% (2 gallons) for the same price (almost exactly) as the 34% (2 gallons) from Leslies. Ouch!

If you don't like the odor, stand up-wind!
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)

6. Back To Top    #6

Flower Mound, TX

Unless you know exactly what is in a product, I wouldn't use it for your swimming pool.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7

My local Lowes only had the green muriatic acid at $7.99 per gallon, the Home Depot across the street has boxes of 2 1gallon regular muriatic acid for $10.92. I'd stay away from the green version since it has added **** in it and isn't as strong, just don't breath in the fumes!
    25k, Inground, concrete, saltwater, NJ
    1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflo 2 Speed
    DE filter
    Compupool CPSC36 SWG
    Spa w/ 6 Jets overflows into pool, 2 skimmers, 1 main drain