Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem balancing my pool levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem balancing my pool levels

Moved to a new topic. JasonLion

I'm not sure if this is where I should post but I am also having a problem balancing my pool levels. If possible could someone tell me what I should do next? We opened our pool today, only added water nothing else yet. My readings are:
    FC - 0
    ph - 7.2
    cya - 25
    tc - 1
    cc - 1
    ta - 100 (the water never actually turned red, but was definately pink, should it turn bright red?)

Thanks for any help.

AG, 16 x 32, 54" deep, sand filter
    16 x 32 x 54" AG buried 2', Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Hayward 15922S Power Flo Matrix pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA and FC

Karen, you might start your own thread, but is your water green or tinted green? Based on FC of 0 and TC of 1, I'm guessing you have some algae and need to go through the shock process.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Problem balancing my pool levels

On the TA test, you add drops until it starts turning some color in the red family, and then continue adding drops until the color does not change any further. The final drop, which did not change the color, does not count.

If the water is clear, you should bring the FC level up to about 5, and then start working on raising CYA to around 40 or 50. If it is murky or cloudy you should shock, as RobbieH already mentioned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you Jason Lion and RobbieH for your replies. The water is clear. We are just opening the pool for the season. The Pool Calculator suggest adding:
    31 oz shock
    27 oz soda ash (not sure what this is)
    1 gal bleach

Is this a good place to start?
    16 x 32 x 54" AG buried 2', Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Hayward 15922S Power Flo Matrix pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Be careful adding anything labeled "shock". I realize some of the chlorine products at Leslie's are labeled shock, even though they are just a chlorine carrier with some other chemicals... that is a different story. Your CYA of 25 means you could use trichlor pucks or dichlor for chlorine once you have your FC in the right zone, just be very careful and aware that you don't want to take your CYA too much farther up than where you are already.

In your shoes, I would add enough 6% bleach to get your FC up to the right level, and if you have a floater for pucks and some trichlor pucks already, float one of those in there for now. It'll help hold your FC, and add some CYA to your pool. If you don't have pucks or dichlor already, focus on the bleach for now, get that in the right zone, then keep an eye on the pool for algae. Last time mine dropped that low I lost and had to shock, but my pool tends to get algae easily.

Someone else might jump in, but I see no reason for soda ash at the moment.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you RobbieH for the advice. I will do as you suggested and hope for the best. Sure don't want to start out the season with a big problem. TFP is a great place. I'm so glad I found it and the BBB Method.

7. Back To Top    #7

This website took me from total newbie to a sparkling clean pool in no time.

8. Back To Top    #8

Scratch the soda ash and raise your target level for FC to 4 or 5 for your CYA level per the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school. You'll lose probably 2ppm per day. I'd get some CYA in there like others have said.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!