Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well Water Analysis

1. Back To Top    #1

Well Water Analysis

Long time lurker but this is my first post. Signed a contract on a pool with Anthony & Sylvan and should begin excavation on Monday. I will attempt to attach a pdf of my well water analysis for you review. Is this water compatible for a pool or should I go with the city water? Thanks for your responses... I'm sure more concerns and questions will follow.

[attachment=0:3vvrsiay]Well_Water_Analysis.pdf[/attachment:3vvrsiay]

Thanks,

Greenhaw
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Freeform Gunite, 21K Gallons, Gray Plaster, 570 sq. ft., 106 Perimeter.
    Pentair- VS 3050, Intellichlor IC-40, 520 sq. ft Cartridge Filter, Intellibrite LED.
    Sun Touch Controller, Legend Platinum Cleaner with Pentair 1.5 hp Booster Pump.
    2- Bubblers & 2- Deck Jets. Autofill & Overflow. TF-100-Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Well Water Analysis

The calcium levels are a bit high. If you can get city water with low calcium levels and just use well water for topping off it will be easier for you to manage.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That water looks good. Very little metals. Unless I'm reading it wrong, calcium is only 221 ppm which is the middle of the road for plaster & fiberglass pools.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. The calcium level is 221 ppm and I thought those were in line for a plaster pool. The high/ low levels indicated on the tests are the water's suitability for irrigation of plants and build up in the soil. (I use this water for turf and garden irrigation.) I thought the metal content was acceptable @.01 and .02 ppm- these were the levels that I was really concerned about.

Thanks,
    Greenhaw
    Freeform Gunite, 21K Gallons, Gray Plaster, 570 sq. ft., 106 Perimeter.
    Pentair- VS 3050, Intellichlor IC-40, 520 sq. ft Cartridge Filter, Intellibrite LED.
    Sun Touch Controller, Legend Platinum Cleaner with Pentair 1.5 hp Booster Pump.
    2- Bubblers & 2- Deck Jets. Autofill & Overflow. TF-100-Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Calcium is fine, but the TA looks sky-high (if I'm reading it correctly). Bicarbonate = 488 = TA of 488?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, I would agree that the TA looks high to me assuming the bicarbonate measurement is in the TA standard of ppm CaCO3. If it's not and is ppm bicarbonate, then the TA is 400 ppm, but that's still high. It just means you'll be adding a lot of acid to get it down lower in order to avoid more frequent pH rise over time.

As for the calcium, this depends again on how they are measuring the ppm. If this 221.2 is ppm CaCO3 then that is fine, but if this is in calcium ppm, then the equivalent CH is 553 ppm which is on the high side, especially with the high TA.

You really need to find out if they are using standardized ppm units or if the ppm are of the specific component they are listing -- especially for calcium. Is this calcium ppm or equivalent calcium carbonate ppm?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"