CYA and FC

Apr 21, 2011
Ok here's today's dilemma. Currently we have no sand filter - it apparently wasn't winterized correctly and we've had to order a new one. In the mean time, we've rerouted the plumbing lines so that we could at least still run the pump and circulate the water so it wouldn't become stagnant.

Here are my current readings...
TC - 0
FC - O
pH - 7.5
Alk - 160
CYA - 0

The FC was fine yesterday about dusk and it is 0 zero... it is falling way too fast and I need to shock it. And I also need to get the CYA up, correct? Some sites say it's not that important but 30-50 is recommended. How does the CYA effect FC? And is it pointless right now to continue to put chemicals in it until the sand filter comes in?

(Background: Inground, concrete, 36,000 gallons - 1 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter)

CYA acts as a sort of sunscreen for the chlorine. Chlorine will disappear at an amazing rate, even in a spotless pool, if it's not protected with some CYA.

What does the water look like? If it's clear, you're probably not wasting money by treating the water. If it's thick and green, you might be.

I agree with Richard, if your water is clear you can add some dichlor to get some FC and CYA in the pool. Don't get a big huge barrel of it, just enough to shock and get the CYA up to about 30-50. It'll be easier to do whatever cleaning you need to do if you keep the water clear than it will be if you let it go to algae.

I'm using the BBB method...how does that affect your answers? :) I'm assuming basic bleach won't give me the CYA I need like dichlor will?

And to answer your question... not it's not thick and full of algae. Yet. But it is starting to get a greenish tint. It's relatively clear but somewhat cloudy (mostly due to not having had a filter and the pool party we had over the weekend I would assume).

akbailey1s said:
I'm using the BBB method...how does that affect your answers? :) I'm assuming basic bleach won't give me the CYA I need like dichlor will?

And to answer your question... not it's not thick and full of algae. Yet. But it is starting to get a greenish tint. It's relatively clear but somewhat cloudy (mostly due to not having had a filter and the pool party we had over the weekend I would assume).

BBB is not so much the actual chemicals used, but using the right chemicals in the right amounts. So if you have no CYA and no FC, heck, yeah! Add the dichlor. Just don't overdose on CYA. Somewhere chemgeek has posted the equivalence, where it says "For every 10 ppm FC, you also add..." I'll see if I can find it. That will tell you how much you can use without overdoing things.

If it's turning green, nip it in the bud!
Barney%2520Fife.jpg

EDIT: Found it, or at least, one of many. effectiveness-of-granular-chlorine-vs-granular-algaecide-t28649.html

Richard and Robbie are giving you BBB information/instructions/suggestions. :)

As Richard said, BBB is all about knowing what your pool needs (testing) and knowing what chemical to add to take care of it.

You are in good hands :goodjob:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

ok perfect...that's exactly what i needed to know! i just didn't see any sense in going out and buying stabilizer just for the CYA....so now i can hopefully help both levels with one product...works for me!!!

And yes, I definitely want to nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem! Just hoping I can keep it under control until the sand filter gets here and can start getting some of that organic materials (and whatever the little kids at the pool party put into it) out.

Thanks again... so glad i found this forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.