Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pics of colored, stamped concrete?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pics of colored, stamped concrete?

We are in the process of picking out the concrete color for the "brushed colored concrete" which will be the pool decking. Also need to choose the base color and the "release" color for the walkway and patio which will be located above the pool deck (with a 3 ft retaining wall separating these two areas). I'd LOVE to see pics of anyone's colored brushed concrete and/or colored, stamped concrete as examples, with color names if known. Our pool is pretty much all-day sun and we live in the southeastern US so we need a light color for the pool deck (but don't want the plain concrete color). Any suggestions and pics appreciated!! Thanks
    In-ground pool owner in NW Georgia: 18 x 37 IG Grecian vinyl pool installed April 2011: 27k gallons, Hayward SWG auto-cleaner with booster pump, Hayward Aquarite T-15 Salt System with timer freeze controls, Hayward Aqua Plus, 1.5 HP Tri-Star pump, 48 sq. ft. D.E. filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pics of colored, stamped concrete?

Likely a bit late... here's ours:

Stamped, stained (well, colored in the concrete), not sealed.

It's hot (98*+ here these days) still but we've not had any slipping issues.
    dont know how many gallons i got but if i remember correctly the pool is about 20'wide and 32' long and goes from 4 to 8 foot. I think i remember someone telling me about 35k in gallons but i could be off.

filter type-Sand

its an in-ground plaster

dont know the size of the pump or size of the filter.

http://m1099.photobucket.com/albums/vodkacop/

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are two photos of our concrete. It is a semi-custom color. We used Davis Colors (color 5237, which looks orange). Sandstone calls for .75 lbs and San Diego Buff calls for 1.5 lbs. We used 1 lb per 94 lb bag of concrete.

http://www.daviscolors.com/Home#concrete

The concrete was stamped with Proline stamps. I think it was Roman Slate. They used a 1 setp wet release. The two step dry release was more money.

I'm very happy with the concrete. There is good variation in color even without the powder release. The darker sections are a fair amount warmer than the light sections. I can feel the difference on an 80 degree day. I'm glad it is not as dark as the pool coping, because the coping is almost too hot to walk on (even when it's only 80).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

4. Back To Top    #4

The 1 step wet release being that they mixed color with the liquid release right?

One guy is telling me to go that route but I hadn't seen any pics of that process so if that is what you meant it is nice to see the result.
    18 x 36 IG Vinyl Liner 28K Gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG
    2" Suction and Return Lines - 2 skimmers, 6 returns
    Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Color was mixed with the concrete and all the concrete looked the same for a while. The wet release was some kind of clear liquid. I don't really know why there is so much color variation.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks excellent! That is also our favorite decking color.
    The dilemmna is having a darker coping, while it definitely looks better, the heat is a huge factor here in GA.
    We've already had a month of 90 deg + days and it is only mid June.
    Thanks, John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for posting these pics. We have around 7 days to decide on whether we are going to go with the stamped or smooth. This is helping me make up my mind! Looks great!

8. Back To Top    #8

Click on my Pool Build link. You'll see our stamped concrete. I don't know the colors. They custom mixed them to go with the pool colors. I love it.
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

9. Back To Top    #9

I took some temperature readings, but not enough to post the results.

When it was hot here last week min 90s-100 the concrete was too hot for me to walk on bare footed. There is a several degree difference between the dark patches and the light patches in my decking. The coping (which is Davis Color Kahlua) is also MUCH hotter than the light color area of the decking.

On a mid 90s day the coping exceeded 140 deg.

I'm glad we didn't go any darker. I can't begin to imaging the tempertaure of this guy's decking, but I'm thinking second and third degree burns

10. Back To Top    #10

Poured, colored and stamped about three weeks ago.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hello,
    Can you tell me what color concrete you used and what release if any for your patio here? Thanks!