Frustrated

Jun 25, 2008
Ohio
Ok, so this is my fourth summer I think using the BBB method. I love it, but I still feel like my water just isn't as balanced or clear as it could be. My neighbors opened a pool a few years back and know absolutely nothing about it. They simply put the pucks in and their water is sparkling clean. It's just so frustrating. I test daily, add bleach when needed, vacuum and I still feel like I'm fighting it.

A few questions. I've got some white powder on the bottom of our pool...when I vacuum it up, some of it blows back in through the return. I say some because the next day when it settles, it's less than what I started with, but it still causes my pool some slight cloudiness. This pump is new this year so I don't think it could be anything with that, but any suggestions are welcome. I've always had this issue, but thought it was the pump...with the new one I'm thinking maybe not?

I'm also wondering if I don't run my pump enough? We've had the pump going nonstop since we uncovered the pool on Sunday hoping to clear it up, but I don't want to run it constantly. I will keep it running 24/7 for now until the water is balanced. After that, we've got two speeds and I run it on low about 10 hours a day. When I vacuum or add bleach/shock, I'll run it on high for at least an hour or so to mix things up.

Finally, I really wanted to add borates to my water this year but I'm not even sure I can get it looking good as it is much less balance it as specifically as it needs to be for that. :(

Here's my numbers in case anyone was wondering.

FC: 5
CC: 0
PH: 7 (I know that's low for now)
CYA: 45
TA: 130

Thanks in advance for anything......

You have the same size pool as I do, and I don't know if this will help you, but it has helped with the sediment I get on the bottom of my pool. When I use the manual vacuum, I place a skimmer sock in the basket to help catch the sediment, I also used a filter aid that I add in the skimmer to help catch finer particles =)

The pump pushes water it doesn't clean it - that's the job of the filter. So sediment coming out the returns is usually a problem with the filter. Have you cleaned and inspected the filter cartridge(s) recently?

My TA is 130. Sorry about that.

I like the idea of the skimmer sock...it can't hurt right?

Yes I clean the cartridge filters everyday once or more when needed. Honestly, they haven't been that dirty. They are a few years old though, so perhaps it would be worth purchasing some new ones. They are still in pretty good shape though; tightly woven and no tears, cracks or anything.

I've checked my FC every morning and night since we opened and it's fine. Never dips more than 1 and normally stays the stable at around 5.

And yes there is a pressure gauge on the filter housing but I've honestly never really paid attention to that. What do I want it to say?

Thanks again for all the ideas.

I run my 2 speed pump on low 24/7. Dirty cartridges actually filter better than clean ones - you aren't really cleaning them daily are you? Can you post a pic of your filter? (Use Photobucket.com and copy the "IMG" code and paste it here.) How big is it?

Gauges don't tend to show much change with a cart filter - mine never tells me when my cart is dirty but I can go 6 weeks before I need to clean it.

If your FC is holding then its likely a filtration issue that more run time, skimmer socks should help with. You do want to use Borax and get that ph into the mid 7s soon. Or figure out a foutain setup to aerate the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.