Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Generic bleach vs. Clorox bleach

Generic bleach vs. Clorox bleach

Can somebody please tell me if generic bleach like wal mart or dollar general,which has 6% on the bottle,is the same as Clorox bleach. A lot of money to pay if they're all the same strength. Thanks for all help.
    20X40 IG,33,000 GAL,VINYL LINER,1 HP PUMP,HAYWARD SAND FILTER,CAMDEN,S.C.

Re: Generic bleach vs. Clorox bleach

Yep. Same stuff. You got the key component, make sure it's 6%. Unscented, no extra **** added.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II T100 Sand Filter, CompuPool CPCS48 SWG, Borates at 50 ppm, TF-100 test kit

There are some very minor differences. Clorox is a little more careful to make sure they are always full strength, while some of the discount brands vary a little more, but they are almost always close enough that it is not a big deal. There are also occasional reports that some obscure discount brand is raising the PH more than it should, but that is rare.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I personally have used walmart brand last year and so far this year with good results. I have also seen others use it with the same success.
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

Lots of members use the Walmart bleach and, lots use Aldi's bleach. Both have had good results.

Now, as has been said, you gotta' be careful w/the dollar stores, super-duper discount stores, etc. Either the bleach can be old and weak or simply started out weak to begin with. No joy.
    TFP Moderator -TF100 Test Kit - TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel- PoolMath- Pool School -
    You're done SLAMing when: 1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.
    ~Do at least one thing every day that makes you happy.~

I checked our local Deals store and Big Lots today. Found a bargain brand at Deals for 1.00 per 96 oz bottle of ultra bleach, but nowhere on the label did it have percentages. So I stayed away from it, and bought 96 oz bottles of White Cloud premium bleach that said 6% for 1.50 a bottle. Is that a good practice to not buy it if it doesn't list the %??
    ~Shell
    24' AG 13,500 gallons
    Hayward pump, sand filter
    Deck yet to be put up...

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGirl
    I checked our local Deals store and Big Lots today. Found a bargain brand at Deals for 1.00 per 96 oz bottle of ultra bleach, but nowhere on the label did it have percentages. So I stayed away from it, and bought 96 oz bottles of White Cloud premium bleach that said 6% for 1.50 a bottle. Is that a good practice to not buy it if it doesn't list the %??
    YES!

You're a fast learner!

I happened to look at a bottle of Simply Value brand bleach my wife has out in the garage for laundry... 2.75%. I doubt it was a value at all.....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

You might want to check out your local ACE Hardware - I get the stronger 10% for slighltly more per gal than the walmart 6% ($1.77 vs $1.99). And - NO - I do NOT work for ACE - even though I've promoted them here. It's just that they have a better deal (IMHO) on chlorine than walmart or the pool stores around here.
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

aldi bleach .99 goog stuff been using it for 2 seasons now
    24 X 52 AG ,WATER WAYS FILTER CART. ,2HP 2 SPEED PUMP

usually use walmart brand, but occasionally wife gets an off brand- she's a couponer, so finds stuff all the time!
    She knows to only get 6% or better- some other people (Canadians, I think) even noted some major brands selling 4%!
    That's 2/3 (66%) the chlorine, at 75% cost, so actually losing money to achieve same amount in pool!
    33ft x 52in AGP (partially buried) 26000 gal
    sand filter, 200#, 2.5 hp 2 speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

In my area (Eastern PA), WalMart is selling their 96oz bottles of store brand bleach (6%) at $1.27. Interestingly per ounce, the 96 oz bottles come out cheaper than the larger bottles - go figure! More bottles to carry, but much easier to use - especially since I often find myself needing to add 1 or 2 entire bottles - no measuring! I used it exclusively last summer with great results.

But I checked out Aldi's the other day and found their 6% generic brand for only $0.99. I stocked up and will be trying this brand this summer.
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Polaris 360 pool cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by madwil
    That's 2/3 (66%) the chlorine, at 75% cost, so actually losing money to achieve same amount in pool!
    More work too, since you have to buy, add and move more volume of bleach to achieve the same FC levels.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

Sometimes the smaller bottles are cheaper per ounce than the larger these days... for everything. Seems companies have trained us that larger is the better value and then turned around and shifted the prices on us. I always check now before I buy anything.

Kind of like how Walmart started out being so much cheaper for everything, now.. I rarely shop there because they aren't cheaper.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

Last year I had some issues with Walmart bleach, maybe it was the pool consuming more chlorine than usual. I did not keep good enough records to be sure. Problems went away when I went back to Clorox it seemed. Maybe it was a heat problem with high summer temps, I dunno.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

Make sure to check the label.

The Clorox Bleach here is 5.5% and the No Name stuff at the same store is 4%
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

I have tried off brands and they do not seem to work as well as Clorox. So I stick with that. I can get 3 182 oz jugs at sams club for under 8.00. Works out to be a good deal.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits