New Liquid Solar Cover

LisaM

May 26, 2011
So I was in the pool store looking at solar covers complaining to the guy about how much I HATE solar covers (large pool, pain in the butt to get on an off, and makes the pool dirty) and he showed me a brand new product by Natural Chemistry called Cover Free. Said it is different than the solar fish, new technology blah blah blah. Has anybody heard of this? I know the general consensus on the board is that liquid solar covers dont work that well but I am wondering about this one. I have a heater and a 6ft privacy fence all around the pool. Wind is not that much of an issue. Not much wind generally gets through that fence. Also I dont run my pump at night. Only during the day. Not looking to heat the pool, just hoping to keep my heat in at night. Any thoughts?

From the description, it is likely to be very similar to WaterSavr that uses stearyl alcohol or HeatSavr that uses cetyl alcohol or to products that use a mixture of these. These are similar to Natural Chemistry® COVERfree™ in that they also create a "mono-layer" that decreases evaporation and associated heat loss.

They are not as good as a traditional solar cover, but in calm conditions with little or no wind they work better than nothing at all on the pool. Though some people like such products, on this forum we've had negative comments such as in this post and this post.

I dont have kids so that is not a concern. My dogs are fenced off from the pool by an underground fence so I dont have to worry about that. I think I am going to give it a try... I will do anything to avoid a solar cover on the thing. Dont use them for heating the pool because I have a heater for that. Really only need to try to minimize heat loss. On a cold night I can drop 10 degrees. If this can even save me 5 degrees I will call it a success. I will let you guys know what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.